Re: [Wesleyan Theology] Evolution and salvation (how much christian can believe in evolution)

  • Paul Weary
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2002
      charlesfinney_9 wrote:

      "IF you cant believe GOD could created the world in 6 days,you cant
      believe in resurrections and all the miracle of JESUS.
      It takes faith.
      It is hard to conceive all the known world are created 6000 years
      ago,or in 6 days,but if we believe in GOD's power,,it is possible.

      Evolution talks about billions of years,and somehow,long long time
      will engineer change from a single cell,into complex beings...and
      same goes for earth.
      NOW,this is NOT scientific to me."

      Obviously, one has to weigh up the evidence and judge which theory best explains the evidence. But I disagree that evolutionary theory is 'unscientific'. It may or may not be a good theory, but on what grounds do you judge it to be unscientific?

      On the other hand, it seems to me that your own creationist perspective could be accused of being unscientific. To say "It is hard to conceive all the known world are created 6000 years ago,or in 6 days,but if we believe in GOD's power,,it is possible" is a theological, not a scientific statement. One of my major complaints about creationism is that it purports to be scientific when in fact it is based on fundamentalist Christian dogma.

      "Can a christian believe in evolution and be saved?
      No.

      This is denying the BIBLE,,just same of denying deity of christ and
      all the miracles written in the BIBLE."

      So basically your argument is not about evolution per se but about one's approach to Scripture. You are saying that only those with a fundamentalist, inerrantist approach to Scripture will be saved. I'm not sure on what grounds you make this claim, because as far as I am aware, there is no such claim in the Bible or in the historic creeds.

      Shalom,

      --
      Paul Weary
      Croydon, UK