Quadrilateral issue

  • Sergio E. Arevalo, Jr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2009
      One of our members has problem concerning the four pillars of Methodist faith which are the Bible, experience, reason and tradition. Can you help us to understand the correlation of these four? How do we use these in making theology?

      Sergz Arevalo
      http://www.WesleyNet.ning.com
    • Ron Hunter
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 20, 2009
        The Quadrilateral counters the reformed idea of sola scriptura (Scripture alone) by considering the releveation of God to need cohesiveness across the four areas of understanding. They function as checks and balances in a way, while Scripture is foremost of the Four. Rather than four legs of a table metaphore, the Quadralateral is more like a three legged stool with Scripture the seat. As you are aware, I am sure, many gross misreadings of Scripture abound. Therefore there needs to be some form of naritive by which to avoid such wild and irresponsible uses of Scripture. The first is tradition. Wesley held very strongly to the apostolic tradition of the church and viewed the formal chruch as the primary agent by which God, in Christ, through the Holy Spirit is at work in the world. The traditions of the chruches are not merely forms made by men but rather the hand of God acting upon the revelation of Christ through out time. This is incomplete if it is
        not cohesive to scripture. Reason is also important as God does not dable in nonsense. Doctrinal nonsense is different than mystery which in faith the later needs to remain while the former needs to be decernadly avoided. Reason, scripture and tradition can even become so accademic that it can never incarnate into actual living. Where the lives of the saints who have trusted God and have powerfully lived, Wesly points often to the lives of people where doctrine and understanding cannot explain away. The four informants are all modes of revelation that harmonize to provide to the seeker a fuller understanding of God and faith.

        ________________________________
        One of our members has problem concerning the four pillars of Methodist faith which are the Bible, experience, reason and tradition. Can you help us to understand the correlation of these four? How do we use these in making theology?

        Sergz Arevalo
        http://www.WesleyNet.ning.com

      • Ken H.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 22, 2009
          I wonder what would happen if we all subscribed to Wesleys ideo of Apostolic Succession?  His view was very popular in the 17th and 18th century.  Apparenlty, it had a lot to do with the laying on of hands of the Bishops.  Well, if that is what we want to go back to, we have a real problem.  It was probably a very good idea in the first few centuries of Christianity, but what do we do about the Bishops of the corrupt Middle Ages?  If we are going to accept their legitimacy, then we are going to have to readjust our views of Catholicism.

          Ken

          One of our members has problem concerning the four pillars of Methodist faith which are the Bible, experience, reason and tradition. Can you help us to understand the correlation of these four? How do we use these in making theology?

          Sergz Arevalo
          http://www.WesleyNe t.ning.com

        • creton4
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 24, 2009
            Ken,

            there was an Apostolic Methodist Church in Florida, according to old copies of the Handbook of Denominations. It only had a handful of congregations, and I think it subscribed to a form of apostolic succession, without having to claim a direct, traceable lineage to Peter or the other original Apostles. I don't know if it was Charismatic or not.

            Does anyone here know about them? I'm almost sure they fizzled out. Adherants.com says "Apostolic Methodist Church... The church operates the Gospel Tract Club at Zephyr Hills, Florida. Membership: At its peak in the 1960s, the church had only a few congregations and less than 100 members." http://www.adherents.com/Na/Na_32.html

            --Andy.