Introduction!

  • keener.karen
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2008
      Hi, all! I am the wife of a Nazarene Pastor and I was curious to read
      what you have on your site. Thanks for accepting me into your group!
      Karen
    • Craig L. Adams
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2008
        keener.karen wrote:
        > Hi, all! I am the wife of a Nazarene Pastor and I was curious to read
        > what you have on your site. Thanks for accepting me into your group!

        We're glad to have you here.

        --
        Craig L. Adams
        COMMONPLACE HOLINESS
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2008
          Welcome!!!

          Francis

          ---- "keener.karen" <keener.karen@...> wrote:
          > Hi, all! I am the wife of a Nazarene Pastor and I was curious to read
          > what you have on your site. Thanks for accepting me into your group!
          > Karen

        • Craig L. Adams
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15, 2008
            One of the things that people remember about Wesleyan/Holiness preaching
            is the message of the "eradication of the sin nature."

            This imagery is found in the old Holiness classics of the Wesleyan
            movement (some of which can be accessed through my "Books" page).

            For many of those who have been exposed to Holiness teaching and
            evangelism it is this aspect of the message that they most remember.

            And, not uncommonly, it has left a very bad taste.

            In my opinion, when the holiness writers talked about "eradication of
            the sin nature" this rhetoric simply caused confusion. Sometimes these
            writers and preachers confused themselves.

            Here's why: when people say that "the sin nature" in a human being is
            "eradicated" in an expereince of Entire Sanctification, this suggests
            that all inner sources of temptation are removed by the Holy Spirit at
            that time.

            One naturally wonders how a person whose "sin nature" is "eradicated"
            can be tempted at all? What is "the sin nature"? What do people mean by
            saying it is "eradicated"? ...

            --

            You can read on here: http://tinyurl.com/2q6kod

            (It's rather long, and is actually a compilation of things I posted in
            this discussion forum long, long ago.)

            --
            Craig L. Adams
            COMMONPLACE HOLINESS
            http://web.mac.com/craigadams1
          • Steve Stanley
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15, 2008
              Not to prolong the (heated) debate over eradication
              v. suppression and a thousand other theories but,
              if one can postulate 1) an adamic state of perfection
              where temptation was possible and 2) a perfect God-
              Man Redeemer who is likewise susceptible to being
              tempted, then it seems to me that "eradication" need
              not suggest "that all inner sources of temptation are
              removed by the Holy Spirit at that time" -- or any other,
              this side of heaven.

              Whatcha think?

              -Steve

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 15, 2008
                Steve Stanley wrote:
                > Not to prolong the (heated) debate over eradication
                > v. suppression and a thousand other theories but,
                > if one can postulate 1) an adamic state of perfection
                > where temptation was possible and 2) a perfect God-
                > Man Redeemer who is likewise susceptible to being
                > tempted, then it seems to me that "eradication" need
                > not suggest "that all inner sources of temptation are
                > removed by the Holy Spirit at that time" -- or any other,
                > this side of heaven.
                >
                > Whatcha think?

                We're thinking along similar lines, actually. "Tempt-able" does not
                equal "sinful." "Tempt-able" may simply mean "healthy & human."

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 15, 2008
                  On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 12:02:25 -0500, "Craig L. Adams"
                  <craigadams1@...> wrote:

                  >Steve Stanley wrote:
                  >> Not to prolong the (heated) debate over eradication
                  >> v. suppression and a thousand other theories but,
                  >> if one can postulate 1) an adamic state of perfection
                  >> where temptation was possible and 2) a perfect God-
                  >> Man Redeemer who is likewise susceptible to being
                  >> tempted, then it seems to me that "eradication" need
                  >> not suggest "that all inner sources of temptation are
                  >> removed by the Holy Spirit at that time" -- or any other,
                  >> this side of heaven.
                  >>
                  >> Whatcha think?
                  >>

                  >We're thinking along similar lines, actually. "Tempt-able" does not
                  >equal "sinful." "Tempt-able" may simply mean "healthy & human."

                  I agree that temptation does not equate with
                  guilt or contamination. Some have placed
                  sin solely in the volition or will and speak of
                  "the sin nature" as an inherited corruption of
                  the human faculty of the will.

                  -Thinking along with you.