Re: [Wesleyan Theology] Hello out there

  • creton4
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 4, 2007
      Good question.

      You have to consider Wesley's personality, as well as his family
      loyalties. He was an extremely loyal person, and even supported the
      crown. He was reluctant to recognize American independence at first, too.

      Consider that his father was a priest and perhaps his father as well.
      He had many friends in the traditional church hiearchy, and had much
      respect for them.

      It's not so much that Wesley was "afraid" of schism, but that he
      valued tradition and unity.

      His "followers," however, were mostly new converts or people who
      already felt uneasy about the state of affairs within Anglicanism.
      Wesley sought to reform the Church of England but was not met with a
      lot of cooperation. His followers were looking for something new and
      weren't happy at all with the way the establish church treated them.
      The last thing they wanted to be were pariahs in the Church of England.

      --Andy.

      --- In wesleyantheology@yahoogroups.com, "Ken H." <khawn@...> wrote:

      > O.K. I will throw out something.
      >
      > Why did Wesley remain an Anglican all of his life? His followers
      seemed to leave the Church at the drop of a hat. Was he afraid of schism?

      > Ken Hawn
      >
      > "Bonnie :-)" <BRowley3@...> wrote: I'm
      here, too, waiting for more sharing.

    • fereed2@cox.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 10, 2007
        Hello!

        Am looking for OT & NT commentaries from this perspective. Aware of Ben Witherington,I.Howard Marshall,William Lane,Joel Green & a few others. Can anyone help me? Thanks! Francis