[Wesleyan Theology] Re: Wesleyan organization

  • creton4
    Message 1 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006
      Amen, Trevor. These verses come to mind after reading your excellent
      reply:

      "Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present
      you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy."
      --Jude 24.

      "... I know the one in whom I trust, and I am sure that he is able to
      guard what I have entrusted to him until the day of his return." --II
      Timothy 1:21, NLT.

      I'm also reminded of the man who wished to go "bury his father" before
      following the Messiah. Woe to them who only follow God halfway, or
      wish to somehow fit God into their busy schedules! Jehovah should be
      the Lord of our lives, especially those of us who claim to be
      sanctified wholly.

      Throw your Palm Pilots out the window! God wants the PDAs of our hearts!

      --Andy.

      --- In wesleyantheology@yahoogroups.com, "trevor.west"
      <trevor.west@...> wrote:

      > I have to agree with what you are saying Andy. Anyone who says to
      > God that they believe that they can have something but that they
      > will not go that far, I don't believe they will be saved. Why
      > believe that you can't be sanctified in one instant when so many
      > claim you can and so much proof is written to the contrary? What
      > would the benefit be of such a belief? If God offers it and you
      > don't want it then you don't believe His word. Without faith it is
      > impossible to please God, the bible says. You reject the things of
      > God. That's no different then the old testament unbelief. The
      > bible says that God wasn't happy with them because of unbelief.
      > That was their sin. They didn't believe that God could bring them
      > into the promised land. What a silly belief after all that God did
      > for them!
      >
      > If you truly want to lose your life and be saved then you will
      > obey ALL His commands and believe ALL of what His Word says.
      > Anything less He will not be pleased with.
      >
      > Trevor.
      >
      > --- In wesleyantheology@yahoogroups.com, creton4 <no_reply@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Wow, I learned something today. See, this group is doing some
      > good. :)
      > >
      > > I have heard Church of Christers use that verse before, but I never
      > > quite looked at it that way. Thanks, John and Mitch, from an
      > armchair
      > > theologian from Texas. I'll ponder it.
      > >
      > > BTW, with my experience with the gift of tongues, I've found it's
      > not
      > > something you choose or do not choose, per se. It's a gift, and if
      > you
      > > don't use it then what does that say to the Gift-giver?
      > >
      > > I do not speak in tongues, but I have experienced prophesy to some
      > > degree, I believe.
      > >
      > > --Andy.
      > >

      > > --- In wesleyantheology@yahoogroups.com, Mitch Wilson
      > > <childofhestia2005@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just, for the record I would like to say, even though I am not
      > > Pentecostal and happen to be am adherent of a denomination (UMC)
      > who
      > > does not offically believe in speaking in tongues, I do believe
      > that
      > > it is real. I just happen to choose not to practice it.
      > > >
      > > > As for the scripture in Acts, I think I was confusing my
      > > scripture. The scripture I was thinking of is Acts 1:26-2:1, where
      > > some non-instrument Church of Christ members use the reference to
      > say
      > > that only the 12 disciples were filled with the Spirit.
      > > >
      > > > I think it should be left to the individual. If the individual
      > > wants to practice this so be it. If the individual doesn't want to
      > so
      > > be it.
      > > >
      > > > Mitch Wilson
      > > > UMC Convert

    • +Magdalen/Thomas
      Message 2 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006
        As I read the below, I can not help but think (and then say) that Jesus asked us to "follow" Him and that somewhere along the line of theological (but not necessarily Christian) reasoning we were overtaken with an egoistic view of "accepting" Him as if he were a wayward mendicant or homeless wanderer and not The Lord.

        I today's Christian communities we seem to have a great deal of "accepting" and very little "following".

        Blessings,
        +Thomas
        _________________________________
        _________________________________

        <trevor.west@...> wrote:

        > I have to agree with what you are saying Andy. Anyone who says to
        > God that they believe that they can have something but that they
        > will not go that far, I don't believe they will be saved. Why
        > believe that you can't be sanctified in one instant when so many
        > claim you can and so much proof is written to the contrary? What
        > would the benefit be of such a belief? If God offers it and you
        > don't want it then you don't believe His word. Without faith it is
        > impossible to please God, the bible says. You reject the things of
        > God. That's no different then the old testament unbelief. The
        > bible says that God wasn't happy with them because of unbelief.
        > That was their sin. They didn't believe that God could bring them
        > into the promised land. What a silly belief after all that God did
        > for them!
        >
        > If you truly want to lose your life and be saved then you will
        > obey ALL His commands and believe ALL of what His Word says.
        > Anything less He will not be pleased with.
        >
        > Trevor.
        > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

        Recent Activity
        a.. 2New Members
        Visit Your Group
        Yahoo! Search
        Try a shortcut

        Find what you need

        faster.

        Yahoo! TV
        "The 9"

        Daily count down

        of top Web finds.

        Y! GeoCities
        Be Interactive

        Create a conver-

        sation with blogs.
        .

      • Ken H.
        Message 3 of 15 , Nov 8, 2006
          You've got that right. I'm amazed at how so many people try to compartmentalize their lives. They only allow Jesus to occupy certain parts of their lives. Of course, we must accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, but following Him is a day to day experience.

          Ken

          +Magdalen/Thomas <xgamer@...> wrote: As I read the below, I can not help but think (and then say) that Jesus asked us to "follow" Him and that somewhere along the line of theological (but not necessarily Christian) reasoning we were overtaken with an egoistic view of "accepting" Him as if he were a wayward mendicant or homeless wanderer and not The Lord.

          <trevor.west@...> wrote:

          > I have to agree with what you are saying Andy. Anyone who says to
          > God that they believe that they can have something but that they
          > will not go that far, I don't believe they will be saved. Why
          > believe that you can't be sanctified in one instant when so many
          > claim you can and so much proof is written to the contrary? What
          > would the benefit be of such a belief? If God offers it and you
          > don't want it then you don't believe His word. Without faith it is
          > impossible to please God, the bible says. You reject the things of
          > God. That's no different then the old testament unbelief. The
          > bible says that God wasn't happy with them because of unbelief.
          > That was their sin. They didn't believe that God could bring them
          > into the promised land. What a silly belief after all that God did
          > for them!
          >
          > If you truly want to lose your life and be saved then you will
          > obey ALL His commands and believe ALL of what His Word says.
          > Anything less He will not be pleased with.
          >
          > Trevor.
          > xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

          Recent Activity
          a.. 2New Members
          Visit Your Group
          Yahoo! Search
          Try a shortcut

          Find what you need

          faster.

          Yahoo! TV
          "The 9"

          Daily count down

          of top Web finds.

          Y! GeoCities
          Be Interactive

          Create a conver-

          sation with blogs.
          .

          Ken Hawn
          Hyde Park #370
          Jacksonville, Fl
          GL of FL

        • creton4
          Message 4 of 15 , Nov 10, 2006
            I think the better question is "Does God accept us?" :) Amen, Thomas
            and Ken.

            The term "accept Jesus into your heart" has some merit, despite its
            Evangelical overuse:

            "Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice,
            and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and
            he with me." --Revelation 3:20.

            But I would agree that to be a disciple you have to do more than just
            let Jesus into your life, but consecrate yourself by putting your
            life in Christ's.

            Thanksgiving is coming up, and I'm reminded about how the older
            people in my family like to take a long walk together after gorging
            themselves on turkey, rice, broccoli, sweet potatoes, etc. They're
            fully aware that if all you do is eat you'll get fat.

            I think the same thing applies to our spiritual bodies. Jesus wants
            to come in and have supper, but at what point do we leave the table
            and go walking?

            Greetings from Texas,

            --Andy.