Romans 6 Consecration and Crucifixion

  • DBee
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2003
      From: RUDIMENTS OF ROMANS by R. G. Flexon

      Romans 6 Consecration and Crucifixion

      In the formers chapters we have seen the difference between sins as
      actual transgressions and the sin as an inborn condition. We have seen
      how this inborn condition controlled and dragged man, both Gentile and
      Jew, into idolatry and the most degrading sins. We have seen its
      subjugation under grace through regeneration. In a climatical statement
      on the subjection of this nature, Paul cried, "Where sin abounded, grace
      did much more abound" (Rom 5:20). Where sin once reigned, grace now

      In this sixth chapter Paul is writing about the sin and the possibility
      of deliverance from it. He opens the chapter with the statement, "What
      shall we say then? Shall we continue in the sin that (this abounding)
      grace may abound? God forbid" (Rom 6:1).

      They had been delivered from their actual transgressions and were living
      above sins of commission. But Paul asks, Is there no deliverance from
      this sin principle? Must we continue to live in this all of our lives?
      Must we ever hold it in check that grace may abound? Thank God, we do
      not have to; for provision has been made for deliverance from it. In
      this chapter Paul makes clear the provision and condition for
      deliverance. He asks the great question, How shall we that are dead to
      the sin live any longer therein? When, then, did we die to the sin?

      Provisionally, we died to the sin in Jesus Christ on the cross.
      "Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him" (Rom 6:6). The
      "old man" here, no doubt, covers sin in its entirety, both actual and
      inbred. Paul implies this in Col. 3:8-9, "But now ye also put off all
      these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your
      mouth. Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man
      with his deeds." When Jesus died on Calvary, not only were our actual
      transgressions nailed to the tree with him, but also the sin, called
      inbred sin, inborn sin, and carnality. That being the case,
      provisionally, our carnal nature was crucified with him. Actually and
      personally, it is accomplished in us when we meet the condition which
      makes the provision operative in us. The provision was, "Know ye not ,
      that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into
      his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death" (Rom
      6:3-4). This is a baptism into his death, where we die to sin in him
      and where we can realize that "he that is dead is freed from sin" (Rom
      6:7). "Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also
      live with him" (Rom 6:8). When he died on Calvary he made provision for
      the destruction of the sin principle in us. When we accept that
      provision, the sin principle is us dies as far as we are personally
      concerned. We can then reckon ourselves "to be dead indeed unto sin,
      but alive unto God."

      What are the conditions which make the provision operative in us? The
      first is a revelation of the need. This can come through heart hunger,
      or something longed for. "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst
      after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Or it can come through
      a revelation of the sin working in the heart. Paul said, "Let not sin
      therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts
      thereof." You have discovered that the sin is there, but don't let it
      be your master. It may create desires that are wrong, but don't yield
      to those desires. Don't yield your members as instruments of
      unrighteousness. What should we do? Yield yourselves unto God as those
      that are alive from the dead. You are no longer dead in trespasses and
      sin. You have been made alive from the dead. The divine life in you
      would have you yield yourselves unto God and your members as instruments
      of righteousness unto him. When that is done it takes one clear out
      from under the domination of sin in any way. "For sin shall not have
      dominion over you."

      You may call this consecration of crucifixion, but it is a different
      yielding than that yielding when one is justified. The yielding of a
      sinner to be saved is on the basis of demand. The yielding of the
      believer to be sanctified is on the basis of love. When this
      consecration, or yielding, is complete, and faith is exercised, then we
      are "made free from sin" and have our "fruit unto holiness, and the end
      everlasting life."