Beware

  • DBee
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003
      Our IRS neighbors located in our building came to my office and provided
      me with
      the following information:

      Please be alert, we have verified via the Federal Protection Service &
      the
      bureau of ATF that there has been a large purchase, $32,000 worth, of
      United Parcel Service (UPS) uniforms on eBAY over the last 30 days.
      This
      could represent a serious threat as bogus drivers can drop off anything
      anyone with deadly consequences.

      If you have any questions when a UPS driver appears at your door, they
      should be able to furnish a VALID I.D. Additionally, if someone in a
      UPS
      uniform, comes to make a drop off or pick up, make absolutely sure they
      are driving a UPS truck. UPS does not make deliveries or pick ups in
      anything except a company vehicle. If you have a problem,
      IMMEDIATELY, call your local Federal Protection service or local law
      enforcement. The Federal Protective service has notified there guards
      be on alert.

    • Craig L. Adams
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003
        on 4/4/03 9:26 AM, DBee at dbee@... wrote:

        > Our IRS neighbors located in our building came to my office and provided
        > me with
        > the following information:
        >
        > Please be alert, we have verified via the Federal Protection Service &
        > the
        > bureau of ATF that there has been a large purchase, $32,000 worth, of
        > United Parcel Service (UPS) uniforms on eBAY over the last 30 days.
        > This
        > could represent a serious threat as bogus drivers can drop off anything
        > anyone with deadly consequences.

        Please check out this false report at the following URLs:

        http://www.snopes.com/rumors/ups.asp

        http://www.courier-journal.com/business/news2003/03/02/biz-front-cool02-4839
        .html

        From the Louisville Courier-Journal, March 2, 2003:

        If you don't have enough on your mind these days, some Internet pranksters
        are trying to sow worries about terrorists dressed as your friendly, trusted
        UPS delivery person.

        An e-mail "alert" making the rounds reported that "UPS uniforms have been
        purchased over the last 30 days by person(s) unknown on eBay. Law
        enforcement is working the case, however no suspect(s) have been identified.
        Subjects may try to gain facility access by wearing these uniforms."

        Relax, UPS spokesman Norman Black says, and don't worry about the report.
        "Call it urban legend or call it hoax, there's nothing to it." There are,
        however, several UPS-logoed items such as jackets, shirts and even socks for
        sale on the auction site.

        UPS drivers in brown uniforms are an unlikely target for impersonators,
        because most companies know their delivery person, he said. Genuine UPS
        drivers also are easy to spot because they always carry a brown minicomputer
        used to track packages.

        "If you have any question about whether or not that is a UPS driver knocking
        on your door, don't open the door," Black said. Instead, dial 1-800-PICK
        UPS. The company can verify that a delivery is scheduled, or you can make
        alternative arrangements for picking up your package.

        --
        Craig L. Adams
        Weidman United Methodist Church
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003
          My information came from officials in the state government of Texas.

        • Chris Burgett
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2003
            www.snopes.com is a pretty good website to check if you want to find
            out about hoaxes like this one.
            Just the other day I used it to check out an email that someone forwarded
            to me, and sure enough--it was a hoax.
            I think before we forward these supposed "true stories" on to others we
            should verify them with websites such as the one above. The only draw
            back to this website is that it lists all urban legends.... including ones
            about
            fornication and the like.

            God bless.