Nazarene Denomination and Beliefs

  • JeremiahJones_98
    Message 1 of 603 , Dec 12, 2000
      I would like to post this message to help people
      understand what and who the Nazarene Denomination is all
      about.<br><br>Our denomination got it's start in the late 1800's
      around 1890. Our founding father was a man named Phineas
      F. Bresee who was a Methodist Episcopal preacher.
      according to church historians there were many who felt
      that the whole "holiness" issue of living a life
      dedicated to the Lord was becoming an issue put on the back
      burner. In some people's eyes it had lost it's furver and
      needed to be revitalized.<br><br>There were 3 major
      holiness groups in America in the late 1890's that came to
      life and later merged to form the Church of the
      Nazarene. They saw the new church from the onset as the
      first in a denomination where the poor would be
      welcomed and entire sanctification would be preached
      openly. In 1907 these 3 groups came together and
      officially joined as the Church of the Nazarene.<br><br>with
      the Denomination well on it's way, these people
      joined under a banner of Loving God with all our hearts.
      minds and soul and strength and living for Lord and
      letting sin go. <br>Some of the distinguishing
      characteristics were:<br><br>1) Women joined men in the ministry:
      women were eligible for every office in the new
      church.<br>2)The new church stood shoulder to shoulder with the
      poor and broken: the church of the Nazarene quickly
      grew into a global church and it's chief goal was to
      reach out to the poor.<br>3)The early nazarenes were
      energized by a vision of world wide ministry: In 1908 at
      the merging in Texas there was already work beginning
      in Cape Verde, India, and Japan.<br>4)The Christian
      college was an essential ingredient to the
      Wesleyan-Holiness church: the united church began with more
      colleges than it could support and had to consolidate lots
      of them.<br>5)Vital piety: The Nazarene prayer
      meeting, testimony service, and altar service were among
      the ways that personal, vital prayer would be
      communicated.<br>6)Entire sanctification would be the doctrinal capstone:
      Entire sanc. represented a real cleansing - a true grace
      in this life - that conquers a living to sin instead
      of to the Lord. The "second work of grace" as it is
      called was the doorway behind which lay all rooms of
      further experience and life. The founders walked though
      the door and into these rooms. If they were still
      living they would beckon us to follow.<br>7)Commitment
      to righteous living: Nazarenes believe that holy
      living is important to Christian stewardship and
      witness. They adopted John Wesley's three rules for the
      Methodist societies about stewardship, discipleship, and
      witness. They agreed to avoid personal behavior,
      entertainment, vice, dress and behavior that would conflict with
      Christian simplicity.<br><br>Historically speaking,
      Nazarenes date their theological roots back to the Wesleyan
      revival of the 18th century. In the 1730's the broader
      Evangelical Revival broke out directed chiefly by John
      Wesley, his brother Charles, and George Whitfield,
      clergyman of the church of England.<br>The Wesleyan phase
      of the great Revival was characterized by three
      theological landmarks: 1)regeneration by grace through faith
      (getting saved) 2)Christian perfection, or
      sanctification(likewise by grace through faith) 3)And, the witness of the
      Spirit to the assurance of grace(knowing that you are
      saved and having God show you that through your
      actions) <br><br>Among John Wesley's distinctive
      contributions was an emphasis on entire sanctification in this
      life as God's gracious provision to the Christian. The
      Wesleyan wing of early British Methodism began the process
      that spread this emphasis worldwide. Typical of it's
      spread was it's rootage in North America, where the
      formal organization of American Methodism in 1784 was
      undertaken with the stated purpose "to reform the Continent,
      and to spread scriptural Holiness over these
      lands."<br><br>My name is Jeremy and i am a pastor in the Nazarene
      denomination. jeremiahjones_98@...<br>please e-mail me if
    • godsgrace0917
      Message 603 of 603 , Jan 11, 2008
        Hello, although new to this group, I read this message written so long
        ago and wished to comment . After reading this, I feel I must agree that
        we do have a choice as to if we saved or not. I believe also that of
        course God knows who will and will not,, but I have asked those who say
        we have no choice in the matter, "Well then, is it your position then ,
        that some who sincerely seek Gods will and salvation, cannot obtain it
        even if they follow all God says to do to be saved, if they are not
        predestined to do so? (by their definition of this) They had no answer,
        and so I still feel that we have a choice, and God does indeed know who
        will choose HIM and who will not. I found this message very interesting,
        thank the writer of this. Lisa