      From: Ron Hunter <hunthome1@...>
      Subject: Re: [Wesleyan Theology] Quadrilateral issue
      To: wesleyantheology@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, March 20, 2009, 7:28 PM

      The Quadrilateral counters the reformed idea of sola scriptura (Scripture alone) by considering the releveation of God to need cohesiveness across the four areas of understanding. They function as checks and balances in a way, while Scripture is foremost of the Four. Rather than four legs of a table metaphore, the Quadralateral is more like a three legged stool with Scripture the seat. As you are aware, I am sure, many gross misreadings of Scripture abound. Therefore there needs to be some form of naritive by which to avoid such wild and irresponsible uses of Scripture. The first is tradition. Wesley held very strongly to the apostolic tradition of the church and viewed the formal chruch as the primary agent by which God, in Christ, through the Holy Spirit is at work in the world. The traditions of the chruches are not merely forms made by men but rather the hand of God acting upon the revelation of Christ through out time. This is incomplete if it is
      not cohesive to scripture. Reason is also important as God does not dable in nonsense. Doctrinal nonsense is different than mystery which in faith the later needs to remain while the former needs to be decernadly avoided. Reason, scripture and tradition can even become so accademic that it can never incarnate into actual living. Where the lives of the saints who have trusted God and have powerfully lived, Wesly points often to the lives of people where doctrine and understanding cannot explain away. The four informants are all modes of revelation that harmonize to provide to the seeker a fuller understanding of God and faith.