Holy Spirit a gentleman?

  • DBee
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2006
      Originally posted by bellywater:

      Is the Holy Spirit a gentleman? I want to know from your
      experience! Please help!

      He speaks in the burning bush. He speaks in the belly of the
      whale. He leads in a thundering cloud by day and a pillar of
      fire by night. Our God, our Awesome God is a consuming fire
      Who shakes the mountain. The elders fall on their faces and
      the angels cry out HOLY HOLY HOLY. He seizes our hearts and
      minds and spirits, and in a twinkling of an eye He teaches us
      of purity and love and passion beyond what our mortal beings
      can comprehend. We are undone. By the standards of human
      reckoning, the Holy Spirit, the very Shekinah of the Living
      God is most certainly not always gentle...and even more
      certainly is not a man.

      No, the Holy Spirit is not a gentleman. It has been said that
      He never comes unbidden, and never violates our will. He has
      seized and transformed my will, and violated my stubbornness.
      He has done me the loving and holy violence of touching my
      lips and my heart with a coal of fire from the altar of His
      presence. Of ruining me for anything but to live and move and
      have my being in Him.

      In her first encounter with the Lion Aslan, Lucy asks if He is
      a tame Lion. No, He is most certainly not tame. Well, then is
      He at least safe? No, He is not safe either. But He is GOOD.

      Love and Let the Wind Blow,

      Firedancer
      -----

      Originally posted by bellywater:

      Thanks firedancer. But where does the teaching about Him not
      comming uninvited fit in? Is it wrong? If so then why do so
      many believe it?

      I think many believe it because they so desperately want it to
      be true. It makes for a god who is much "nicer"...more polite
      and fitting with their/our sense of spiritual propriety and
      decorum. It also goes to the root of a control issue. We do
      not naturally want an experience of God in which we do not
      remain firmly in control. Of our senses. Of our behaviour. Of
      our emotions. Now there are those "bruised reeds" who will
      not be broken by His coming. At times He caresses and
      whispers, comforts and coos. He woos us like a lover, bringing
      us along a step at a time, and never more than we can handle.
      At other times, though, He stirs inside us strangely and with
      such fire and passion that we can almost feel the roar of the
      Lion of Judah in the atoms of our being.

      He never really comes the same way twice or with two different
      people. He is infinitely wise and infinitely creative. And
      infinitely loving. He simply packages His love in such a way
      as to always catch us off guard, surprising us afresh with the
      joy and power of His presence, or overwhelming us with His
      Holiness and fire.

      Firedancer