Naaman

  • DBee
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2005
      The experience of Naaman and how to be perfectly, clean!

      In 2 Kings 5:1-27 is a story with a message for all, kind of
      like a parable but not really. Naaman, was the main general
      under the king of Syria at the time when Elisha was a prophet
      Israel. Naaman was "a great man and honorable, a mighty man
      of valor, but he was a leper." Leprosy is a type of the old
      sin nature in the scriptures, inner uncleanness. Through the
      suggestion of a little maiden the Syrians had taken from
      Israel and had become a servant to Naaman's wife, the king of
      Syria sent Naaman to Israel and Elisha to be healed of his
      leprosy. The little girl wanted Naaman to be ok.

      "So Naaman came with his horses and with his chariots, and
      stood at the door of the house of Elisha. And Elisha sent a
      messenger unto him, saying, Go and wash in the Jordan seven
      times, and thy flesh shall come again to thee and thou shalt
      be clean. But Naaman was wroth, and went away, and said,
      Behold, I thought, He will surely come out to me, and stand,
      and call on the name of the Lord his God, and wave his hand
      over the place, and recover the leper. Are not Abanah and
      Pharpar, the rivers of Damascus, better than all the waters of
      Israel? may I not wash in them, and be clean? So he turned
      and went away in a rage. And his servant came near, and spake
      unto him, and said, My father, if the prophet had bid thee do
      some great thing, wouldest thou not have done it? How much
      rather then, when he saith to thee, Wash, and be clean? Then
      went he down, and dipped himself seven times in the Jordan,
      according to the saying of the man of God; and his flesh came
      again like unto the flesh of a little child, and he was
      clean."

      Pride is a real part of uncleanness, and almost kept Naaman
      from what he needed most. Nothing he could have done on his
      own could have cleansed himself, it is a work of God. Really
      what Naaman finally did can be summarized: he believed it
      could be done by God, he came and requested cleansing, he
      obeyed God's instructions that were aimed at the heart of his
      uncleanness, his pride. His obedience humbled him, in humble
      obedience Naaman was made perfectly clean by God.

      You can read the story yourself, it goes on to tell of
      Elisha's servant and how he became unclean through selfish
      greed and unfaithfulness. A very sad story for Gehazi. God's
      love is conditional, it's up to us. He is God and in him is
      no darkness at all. He is a person separate from what he has
      created, Jesus is in the process of reconciling all things
      unto himself. "We beseech you on behalf of Christ, be ye
      reconciled to God. And I thank God if you have been made
      clean!

      -----------------
      21So Gehazi followed after Naaman. And when Naaman saw one
      running after him, he alighted from the chariot to meet him,
      and said, Is all well? 22And he said, All is well. My master
      hath sent me, saying, Behold, even now there are come to me
      from the hill-country of Ephraim two young men of the sons of
      the prophets; give them, I pray thee, a talent of silver, and
      two changes of raiment. 23And Naaman said, Be pleased to take
      two talents. And he urged him, and bound two talents of silver
      in two bags, with two changes of raiment, and laid them upon
      two of his servants; and they bare them before him. 24And when
      he came to the hill, he took them from their hand, and
      bestowed them in the house; and he let the men go, and they
      departed. 25But he went in, and stood before his master. And
      Elisha said unto him, Whence comest thou, Gehazi? And he said,
      Thy servant went no whither. 26And he said unto him, Went not
      my heart with thee, when the man turned from his chariot to
      meet thee? Is it a time to receive money, and to receive
      garments, and oliveyards and vineyards, and sheep and oxen,
      and men-servants and maid-servants? 27The leprosy therefore of
      Naaman shall cleave unto thee, and unto thy seed for ever. And
      he went out from his presence a leper as white as snow.

      The door of mercy is soon to close for good on the rejecters.
      I Thess. 4:7For God called us not for uncleanness, but in
      sanctification. 8Therefore he that rejecteth, rejecteth not
      man, but God, who giveth his Holy Spirit unto you.