Hydrogen Peroxide For Colds and Flu

  • DBee
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2003
      Hydrogen Peroxide For Colds and Flu

      DR. MERCOLA'S COMMENT:

      Last November I initially posted this information, then pulled it after
      it was on the site for a few hours as I had reason to believe the source
      was flawed. I replaced the article with another related one.

      However, a few people did retrieve the original article, which I have
      posted below my comment. I was quite surprised to receive an unsolicited
      email from someone who claimed it worked for her entire family. She also
      provides some positive experiences she has had with EFT.

      That is a strong endorsement for a totally non-toxic and incredibly
      inexpensive solution to a very common problem. Seems like it might be
      worth trying after considering the main contributing factors below.

      So I have posted portions of the original document along with the email
      that prompted revisiting this topic.

      By far it is most effective to be proactive and not get colds in the
      first place. It seems the major reasons why one gets them to begin with
      are:

      Going off the eating plan
      Stress
      Not enough sleep
      Any combination of the above

      So clearly the first approach is be careful and avoid food choices that
      will sabotage your health. If you are stressed please consider EFT,
      which is an amazingly effective tool to address the foundational and
      core reasons as to how the stress is impairing your immune system.

      If, for whatever reason, you have come down with a cold my personal
      recommendation would be to use zinc lozenges. I have been using zinc in
      my practice for over 15 years, far before it was popular.

      When using zinc lozenges it is important to recognize that they need to
      be sucked on, NOT swallowed, and smaller doses more frequently seem to
      work better. I usually advise patients to suck on a quarter lozenge
      every 30 minutes. If started early, this approach seems to work well for
      the clear majority of patients.

      Two cautions should be heeded though; if the lozenges make one nauseous
      they should be stopped immediately as that is a sign of zinc toxicity.
      If you follow this guideline and listen to your body you will avoid the
      copper imbalance referenced in the study.

      From what we have read, hydrogen peroxide works quite well and is
      supposed to be effective 80% of
      the time, especially if done when the symptoms first appear. While it
      seems contrary to what we have
      been taught about colds and flu we know quite a few people who have
      tried it with great success.

      In 1928 Richard Simmons, M.D. hypothesized that colds and flu virus
      enter through the ear canal. His
      findings were dismissed by the medical community. According to Dr.
      Simmons, contrary to what you
      may think or have been taught about how you catch the flu or the cold
      there is only one way that you can catch the two, and that's via the ear
      canal not through the eyes or nose or mouth as most have believed.

      Keeping your fingers out of your ears will greatly reduce your chances
      of catching them, but then again these two are microscopic and can be
      air-born and may land on or even in your ear. Once they have entered the
      inner-ear (middle-ear) there they begin their breeding process, and from
      there they have access to every avenue throughout our body to travel to
      and to infect and make us sick.

      In 1938 German researchers had great success using hydrogen peroxide in
      dealing with colds and the
      flu. Their data has been ignored for over 60 years.

      It is important to begin treatment as soon as symptoms appear. If
      treatment is started promptly
      effectiveness seems to be in the 80% range.

      We have found remarkable results in curing the flu & cold within 12 to
      14 hours when administering a
      few drops of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) into each infected ear,
      (sometimes only one ear is
      infected) The H2O2 starts working within 2 to 3 minutes in killing the
      flu or cold; there will be some
      bubbling and in some cases mild stinging occurs.

      Wait until the bubbling & stinging subside (usually 5 to 10 min) then
      drain onto tissue and repeat other
      ear. A bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide in 3% solution is available at any
      drug store for a couple of dollars.

      Although this method is perfectly safe for infant/children to use, the
      loud bubbling and stinging frightens them, they'll need someone they
      trust to put the hp in their ears. (don't get h2o2 in the eyes- if you
      do, flush with water)

      E-Mail From Subscriber

      Thanks to one of your articles in your newsletter about using peroxide
      in the ears for flu or colds, my
      family and I have had a relatively flu/cold free winter! We have been
      exposed to a serious flu in our area, but have managed to dodge it. Here
      are some specifics:

      My 6 year old son had kept me up during one night with coughing and
      sneezing. By noon the next day
      he had a fever. I then remembered recently reading in your newsletter
      about using three drops of
      peroxide in each ear for 10 minutes. You should have seen his face when
      I told him I was going to put
      peroxide in his ears! He was nervous, but soon settled down. It bubbled
      a lot in both ears. I did only one treatment in each ear, and from then
      on, his fever went away and his symptoms were reduced to the sniffles.
      That night he slept well, as did mom. The cold did not return!

      Next came myself. About a week later I felt like my head was in a "fog",
      a familiar fog that is a sure sign I am going to get sick with a bad
      cold or flu. I used the peroxide treatment in each ear and went to bed
      about an hour early. The next morning I felt fantastic! Not a trace of
      illness.

      Again about a week after I had felt something coming on, my husband
      started feeling "ugh". I told him
      about the peroxide and he looked at me skeptically. But he tried it. And
      it worked! He works for the
      school district in the bus shop and is around the drivers (who are
      around all those kids passing germs
      about) frequently.

      At the same time my 10 year old son who is rarely sick said he didn't
      feel well. I wasn't sure if he was
      saying that because he felt left out (the peroxide treatment aroused his
      interest), or if he really was
      coming down with something. So, I gave him a treatment, not seeing that
      any harm would come of it. He had strong bubbling on one side. He soon
      felt better and did not become ill.

      The peroxide has been used a few other times on all of us with almost
      amazing results. There was a
      different result in one case, which had to do with myself. It had been a
      couple of weeks from my first use of the peroxide on myself.

      I came home from our local library book sale which was held in the
      basement. I quickly became ill, as if allergic to something in the
      basement, of which this was my first time down there. By the next
      morning I had a full fledged cold and felt awful. I tried the peroxide.

      Although I had to repeat the peroxide treatment about every 4 hours, the
      peroxide alone relieved my
      symptoms! I was a bit tired, but other than that, no sneezing, coughing,
      fever, etc. After about 4 hours I would feel pressure building in my
      head (especially the ears) and I would begin to get quite cranky.
      Then I would use the peroxide again and be much better.

      The peroxide allowed me to maintain my schedule of homeschooling the
      boys and doing my chores. It
      worked better than anything I have tried over the years and had no side
      affects!

      A few notes: the peroxide feels like ice when it is dropped into the
      ear! It usually did not sting. The
      hardest thing for me to get used to was the tickling of the bubbles!

      Thank you again for the information on peroxide for flus and colds. This
      wife and mom has had many
      peaceful nights thanks to you! Thank you also for ALL the fantastic
      information that you pass along in your newsletter. If it weren't for
      you, how would we know of these things?!?

      Last fall I started using EFT and am very pleased with the results and
      that I have such a useful tool for others and myself. I learned of it
      through you. You have made a difference in many lives.

      Sincerely,

      Wendy Fyfe
      Brush, Colorado