John Wesley Quotes About The Bible

  • Delwyn Loy Mayo
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2003
      Excerpted From>> A Study Guide On Christian Doctrines and
      Contemporary Issues, With Reference To False Teachings Compiled by;
      Delwyn Loy Mayo.

      Here I would like to give some quotes from John Wesley concerning The
      Bible and Bible Study.

      "Inspiration-Wesley's Argument"

      John Wesley gave a short argument for the inspiration of the
      Scriptures that is well worth remembering.

      "The Bible must be the invention of good men or angels, bad men or
      devils, or of God.

      "1. It could not be the invention of good men or angels, for they
      neither would or could make a book tell lies all the time they were
      writing it, saying, 'Thus saith the Lord' when it was their own
      invention.

      "2. It could not be the invention of bad men or devils, for they
      would not make a book that commands all duty, forbids all sin, and
      condemns their own souls to hell for all eternity.

      "3. Therefore, draw the conclusion that the Bible must be given by
      divine inspiration."

      John Wesley confessed, "I am a Bible bigot. I follow it in all
      things, both great and small."

      "Wesley's Suggestions for Reading the Scripture"

      "1) If possible, set apart a little time in the morning and evening
      every day for Bible reading.

      "2) It is advisable to read a chapter from both the Old Testament
      and the New Testament.

      "3) Read with a single purpose-to know the will of God.

      "4) Look for the connections between the passage of scripture and
      the fundamental ideas of Christian faith.

      "5) Prayerfully seek the guidance and instruction of the Holy Spirit
      as you read.

      "6) Resolve to put into practice what God teaches you in your
      reading and study."

      Take Care!!!
      May the glory of the Spirit of God be seen in you, now and forever.
      Amen.
      Agape', Shalom, Gloria a Dios, & Prayers,
      D.L.M.-"Doctor D"