Re: new to the group

  • totsuwa@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2004
      Well, in my old Vocational School, we started by learning about the
      oxyfuel (your oxacetlyene, same difference) torch. A few basic
      pointers on the oxyfuel torches: when properly adjusted, there
      should be a lighter, fainter outer flame with a brighter blue inner
      cone. There should be no 'hissing' sound (too much oxygen); there
      should be a very faint sort of 'roar' when adjusted right.

      Working pressures on the regulators are as follows: Acetlyene about
      5 to 7 lbs. Oxygen (for torch welding) I find about 10 to 12 lbs
      sufficient. Textbook is 20, but I find that's just wasteful in my
      experience.

      When you weld steel with Oxyfuel, you preheat the metal by pointing
      the flame in the direction of travel. Hold the flame on the
      beginning of the joint untill it begins to form a puddle of liquid
      metal. At this point, begin to feed in te filler rod with the other
      hand, letting the end of the rod melt and drip down into the puddle,
      lengthening the bead. Keep this process going until the joint is
      completed. If you lose the puddle, stop and re-establish it before
      trying to continue.

      Cutting pressures for an oxyfuel torch are a bit different. Minimum
      Oxygen pressures for cutting steels begin about 20 and increase as
      the thickness of the metal increases. Acetlyene pressures stay the
      same.

      Learning oxyfuel welding is a great first step. It's almost a dying
      art as much of what used to be done by torch is now done by mig, but
      well worth the investment in time. The techniques you learn will
      definately help with transitioning to other welding processes,
      particularly tigging aluminum; and it is most certainly helpful when
      doing some of the more delicate processes such as silvering and
      brazing.

      Totsuwa

      --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "lbdm2002" <lbdm2002@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hey all..I joined your group because I am very interested in
      learning
      > the art of welding. I am female and we have a small cattle
      > farm..about 40 acres..my husband has a full time job outside of
      the
      > farm and i'd love to learn the basics of welding to help with a
      new
      > fence we just put in and other projects around the farm. of
      course,
      > coming from a rural small town, i have had many people have
      negative
      > thoughts about my interest in welding..mostly, i get the "why do
      > women think they can do jobs men can do" comments. We have an arc
      > welder and an Oxycetelene (i think that's what it's called)
      system.