dark #13 not dark enough

  • dionljohnsonii
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 27, 2012
      I use a Miller auto-darkening helmet which supposedly goes up to darkness level 13. It works OK, but I still find the MIG arc is too bright for me to really see what is going on. All I can see is a bright circle in the middle, which has several minutes' retinal persistence.

      Is it possible that my LCD is not darkening as much as when it was new?

      Can one find auto-darkening that goes darker than 13?

      Should I get a #3 (or whatever) extra filter and add that in front of the LCD filter?

      Any other suggestions?
      Thanks,
      Dion
    • Cindy and James
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 28, 2012
        Sounds like the battery needs replacing.
        James
      • Don
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 28, 2012
          Are you sure it is turned on?

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 28, 2012
            James, you are wonderful!
            The battery indicator did not show red but when I checked, sure enough they were both low. I work with LCD stuff a lot but somehow forgot that low voltage makes the LCD go dim! Big Thanks to you! -Dion

            --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, Cindy and James <jallcorn@...> wrote:
            > Sounds like the battery needs replacing.
            > James

          • Jallcorn
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 28, 2012
              You're welcome, but its happened to me too. Always look for a simple solution first. James

              Cindy or James