Re: [welding_group] cheap and cheerful

  • Jesse Thompson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 26, 2012
      Buy a brand name machine miller, hobart, or lincoln.  The foreign machines are cheap but good luck getting customer support.
      Jesse
      On Sep 26, 2012, at 8:02 AM, J Bryan Kramer wrote:

      I'm just about in the same position. I'm taking a welding class and want to buy a small welder for home projects. The instructor says you need a spool gun to do aluminum tho.

      BK

      "As an artist, my interest lies in pictures and in the technical procedure required to produce them..."
      --Ansel Adams

      J Bryan Krämer       North Florida, USA
      photos at: http://pbase.com/photoburner
      blog at: http://www.photoburner.net

      On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM, exvelo <exvelo@...> wrote:
      Im looking at buying a welder for occasional use at home . Ive been looking at some of the cheaper end chinese DC units .....correct me if im wrong but these can handle aluminium with the right attachments ? Its a toss of a coin between one of these or a conventional AC. unit . Which would you go for and why ?

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          welding_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
          welding_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • JohnnyGurkha
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 27, 2012
        --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, J Bryan Kramer <codeburner@...> wrote:

        > I'm just about in the same position. I'm taking a welding class and want to
        > buy a small welder for home projects. The instructor says you need a spool
        > gun to do aluminum tho.
        >
        > BK
        >
        > "As an artist, my interest lies in pictures and in the technical procedure
        > required to produce them..."
        > --*Ansel Adams*
        >
        > J Bryan Krämer North Florida, USA
        > photos at: http://pbase.com/photoburner
        > blog at: http://www.photoburner.net
        >

        > On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM, exvelo <exvelo@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Im looking at buying a welder for occasional use at home . Ive been
        > > looking at some of the cheaper end chinese DC units .....correct me if im
        > > wrong but these can handle aluminium with the right attachments ? Its a
        > > toss of a coin between one of these or a conventional AC. unit . Which
        > > would you go for and why ?

        >I used to have a Mosa DC. engine driven unit that produced amazingly smooth precise welds I just wondered if these new fangled mains units did the same thing but straight off the mains .
      • dennisthornton1952
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 27, 2012
          You might very well prefer a spool for mig welding aluminum but you can also stick weld aluminum with DC.

          Dennis Thornton

          --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, J Bryan Kramer <codeburner@...> wrote:

          > I'm just about in the same position. I'm taking a welding class and want to
          > buy a small welder for home projects. The instructor says you need a spool
          > gun to do aluminum tho.
          >
          > BK
          >
          > "As an artist, my interest lies in pictures and in the technical procedure
          > required to produce them..."
          > --*Ansel Adams*
          >
          > J Bryan Krämer North Florida, USA
          > photos at: http://pbase.com/photoburner
          > blog at: http://www.photoburner.net
          >

          > On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 11:03 PM, exvelo <exvelo@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Im looking at buying a welder for occasional use at home . Ive been
          > > looking at some of the cheaper end chinese DC units .....correct me if im
          > > wrong but these can handle aluminium with the right attachments ? Its a
          > > toss of a coin between one of these or a conventional AC. unit . Which
          > > would you go for and why ?

        • J Bryan Kramer
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 8, 2012
            I ended up with the Hobart Autoarc 130 at a little more than $300 from Amazon. Supposedly Hobart bought the rights to this model from Miller and it has a Miller gun. There were comments on Amazon showing that Hobart is directly supporting this model even tho it does not say 'Hobart' anywhere on the machine.

            It works, with my beginners knowledge of welding that all I can say. The weather hasn't been cooperating down here so I've only used it an hour or so. And I spent that time getting the voltage and wire feed rate set correctly. I misjudged the thickness of the metal I was using and used the wrong settings from the table inside the side cover.

            I'll have to say that it sure throws a lot of spatter around compared to the gas shielded unit we are using at the welding class. I thought I could get away without long sleeves and long pants but found out that was wrong---heh.

            On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Jesse Thompson <jjthompson33511@...> wrote:

[...]

          • jbrookes40
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012
              Greetings
              I bought a HF el cheepo $199 TIG. It's OK on stick mode, but the TIG requires skill since its scratch start and loses arc easily. A brand name (US) TIG would be much better. I used to own a US TIG, and the difference was night and day.
              JB