Generators for welding

  • Randall
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 19, 2012
      I do have a question on a inexpensive wire feed welders.

      I'd like to buy a 230V wire feed welder and be able to power it from a portable generator. Is there a specific type of generator I should look for or more importantly, ones that I should stay away from ?

      thanks
    • David G. LeVine
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 24, 2012
        On 08/19/2012 08:16 AM, Randall wrote:
        I'd like to buy a 230V wire feed welder and be able to power it from a portable generator. Is there a specific type of generator I should look for or more importantly, ones that I should stay away from ?

        thanks

        Several things to remember:
        • Cheap generators typically have a life expectancy in the hundreds of hours (400 being typical), good ones run in the thousands of hours.
        • Small fuel tanks are a bad thing.
        • Too small a generator set is much worse than too big.
        • Wire feed welders require stable power to weld well, cheap, low powered generators will not handle this.
        • You may be better off with a welding generator power source and using its' auxiliary power than trying to run from a generator designed to run AC loads.  See http://www.hobartwelders.com/products/generators/ for one example.  Add a wire feeder, the results may be better without the additional conversions between power supplies.

        Dave  8{)

        --
        "The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him."
        Niccolo Machiavelli

        NOTE TO ALL:

        When forwarding emails, please use only "Blind Carbon Copy" or "Bcc" for all recipients. Please "delete" or "highlight & cut" any forwarding history which includes my email address! It is a courtesy to me and others who may not wish to have their email addresses sent all over the world! Erasing the history helps prevent Spammers from mining addresses and viruses from being propagated.

        THANK YOU!