"Carbon" Arc Torch with Tungsten Electrodes??

  • ronvparsons
    Message 1 of 3 , May 31, 2011
      I have a 50-amp mini-welder which now, thanks to help from this group, works perfectly. Max of 5/64" rods, but what do you want for $20?

      Next question --- I also want to use it as a torch for brazing. They used to do this by striking an arc between two rods of carbon and using the arc as a heater or "torch" to heat metal to brazing temperature.

      Could I use the tungsten electrodes designed for TIG machines to do the same thing? Rig up an adjustable dual-rod holder to hold the tips maybe a 1/4" apart, with a way to squeeze the gap to zero to strike the arc and a spring to open the gap once running.

      It seems like tungsten would be nearly immune to the arc....so would last a while.
    • David G. LeVine
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2011
        On 06/01/2011 12:36 AM, ronvparsons wrote:
        > Could I use the tungsten electrodes designed for TIG machines to do the same thing? Rig up an adjustable dual-rod holder to hold the tips maybe a 1/4" apart, with a way to squeeze the gap to zero to strike the arc and a spring to open the gap once running.

        Nope, carbon is consumed and the vapor is used to control the arc.
        Tungsten would erode even faster unless the gap was flooded with inert gas.

        Dave 8{)
      • Ron V. Parsons
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2011

          OK.  Back to carbon “gouging” rods.

          Fortunately, someone called “Rick V” posted an excellent guide to building and using a carbon arc torch on weldingweb back in 4/5/2006.

          I am going to give it a try and will report back.