Gas Cutting Circles

  • tetatate2
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 5, 2011
      Hi

      Not strictly a welding question but gas cutting .

      I'm cutting 12 inch disks from 3mm plate using gas , the discs dome slightly with the heat.
      Anyone know of a solution ?

      Thanks
      Paul
    • lge27@juno.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 5, 2011
        Others will almost certainly have better solutions but in doing body work on thin metal because the
        metal was stretched from the impact we often had to shrink it back by heating a spot to red and quenching it with water in different places until it was back to size.

        Larry

        Not strictly a welding question but gas cutting .

        I'm cutting 12 inch disks from 3mm plate using gas , the discs dome slightly with the heat.
        Anyone know of a solution ?

        Thanks
        Paul

        Globe Life Insurance
        CoverageFor1Dollar.com
      • lge27@juno.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 5, 2011
          Hi,

          Larry again. As soon as I hit the send button I had another thought. Depending on the thickness of the
          metal you might be able to lay a water soaked rag in the center of the circle you are going to cut to
          keep it cool enough not to swell up while you cut the outer edge.

          Good Luck,

          Larry

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 6, 2011
            Hi Larry
            Thanks , I'll experiment a bit with shrinking the centre of the disks to compensate.
            Regards
            Paul
            > Others will almost certainly have better solutions but in doing body work on thin metal because themetal was stretched from the impact we often had to shrink it back by heating a spot to red and quenching it with water in different places until it was back to size. Larry ---------- Original Message ----------
            > From: "tetatate2" <autogrp@...>
            > To: welding_group@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: [welding_group] Gas Cutting Circles
            > Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 21:08:12 -0000
            >

            > Hi
            >
            > Not strictly a welding question but gas cutting .
            >
            > I'm cutting 12 inch disks from 3mm plate using gas , the discs dome slightly with the heat.
            > Anyone know of a solution ?
            >
            > Thanks
            > Paul

            > Globe Life Insurance
            > $1* Buys $50,000 Life Insurance. Adults or Children. No Medical Exam.
            > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4d72c77279a406d62d0st05vuc

          • David G. LeVine
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 6, 2011
              On 03/05/2011 04:08 PM, tetatate2 wrote:
              > Hi
              >
              > Not strictly a welding question but gas cutting .
              >
              > I'm cutting 12 inch disks from 3mm plate using gas , the discs dome slightly with the heat.
              > Anyone know of a solution ?
              >
              > Thanks
              > Paul

              Yup, heat to red heat and put a wet rag on the middle. In automotive
              bodywork, this is known as shrinking metal.

              Dave 8{)
            • dennisthornton1952
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 6, 2011
                You've already gotten a great tip about shrinking it. I ran an autobody shop for 15 years and I know it works. Took me awhile to learn of it and then get good at it though! Practice on junk first! Another tip is to keep your disc as cool as possible. We used wet asbestos fibers! Worked great! Hope I don't die of asbestosis! I'm sure there's a better replacement today but you can probably use wet sand, or clay or even a wet rag. The trick is to not heat your work any more than you have to. High heat on your torch, cut quickly and keep the disc cool. After you've sold several and made a lot of money buy a plasma cutter.

                Dennis Thornton

                --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "tetatate2" <autogrp@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                >
                > Not strictly a welding question but gas cutting .
                >
                > I'm cutting 12 inch disks from 3mm plate using gas , the discs dome slightly with the heat.
                > Anyone know of a solution ?
                >
                > Thanks
                > Paul

              • tetatate2
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 19, 2011
                  Hi

                  Thanks for all your tips ,

                  I'll try them out.

                  Dennis you think a plasma cutter has a lot of advantages over gas, apart from less heating up ?

                  Thanks
                  Paul