MIG solenoid valve specs?

  • Scott Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2011
      If I convert a 110v flux-core Lincoln welder to use gas, what are the specs
      for the gas solenoid I would need? I know they sell kits for about $135 to
      do a complete conversion, but I've already got a regulator, so I'd rather
      try to build the rest of the conversion on the cheap. Just wondering what
      the voltage is to the solenoid, and what the orifice size should be - and if
      anyone has any good low-budget sources for the valve, that would be welcome
      information, as well.

      The welder is a Weld-Pak 125HD, Lincoln code number 11302, if that matters,
      though I assume they're all quite similar, no?

      This isn't an immediate project, just a "what if" so I'll have time to
      gather parts as I can.

      Thanks,
      Scott in Penfield NY

      P.S. Sorry for those who are on both groups, as I sent this first to
      welding_projects, but I realized my question probably belongs here.
    • lge27@juno.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011

        James is exactly correct on everything he suggested. I have a Lincoln Pro Cut 55 and every problem
        I ever had with it ended up being a bad ground.

        Larry

        When Banks Compete, You Win!
        Refi & lower payments today: $400,000 for only $1,687/mo. No SSN required.
        QuickMatch.LendingTree.com
      • Cindy and James
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
          I just HAVE to ask this question...

          WHY would you want to go to the trouble to convert a little welder like
          this from its stated purpose? And a 110 volt one to boot?

          You probably have good reasons, I'm just curious.

          James
        • Scott Williams
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2011
            [welding_group] Re: MIG solenoid valve specs?

            They sell these with kits to use shielding gas, so I don’t believe it’s beyond the machine’s “stated purpose.”  They sell them without the kits to hit the lowest possible price point at the “big box” store.

            MIG is better with thin sheet metal than flux-core.  It’s easier to over-penetrate and burn through with flux core welding than with MIG (on thin stock.)  Also, flux core spatters a lot more and takes a lot more clean up if you want presentable welds.  Flux core wire costs well over 2x as much per inch of weld (thus offsetting the cost of gas to some degree.)

            This won’t be used for building up snowplow mounts, I have a stick welder for that.

            Scott in Penfield NY

            WHY would you want to go to the trouble to convert a little welder like
            this from its stated purpose?  And a 110 volt one to boot?

            You probably have good reasons, I'm just curious.

            James

            <*> Your email settings:
                Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
                (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
                welding_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
                welding_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            No virus found in this message.

          • Cindy and James
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2011
              That's cool, I was just wondering.  I hardly ever use flux core wire as most of my wire welding is indoors.  I have been looking for a low-alloy flux core wire for a specific job but haven't found it yet.  The Lincoln rep suggested their 211 (I think) but it has zero charpy qualities and that won't work for this job.  I may have to use 7018, ugh.

              I've had very poor results (and therefore a very poor opinion) of welding with 120 volt settings.  I've got a Miller passport that runs on either 120 or 220 and 120 is practically worthless at either flux core or w/ CO2.  I bought it just for the portability thinking the 120 v would give me some quick options without having to haul every dang thing I have to some really remote spot.  I was wrong!  It is ok at 220 and I've used it a lot like that.  It might do better w/ preheat at 120 v but where I use it that isn't feasible either.

              I'm sure a lot of those little welders are the same basic thing inside w/ a bit of a different cover and numbers outside.

              James