Cutting Rod

  • freeadvice777
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 9, 2010
      I am an amateur fabricator, love it, but I hate to drill large holes in steel. I got the brilliant idea to use "cutting Rod" to blast a hole in steel but unfortunately was not successful. It seems that this rod is to be used to remove weld bead by blasting it away because it has some special coating. It does not come with instructions so I tried AC and DC reverse at about 90 and 120 V. Is anyone familiar with his rod? It seems to me to be pretty useless. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Also I tried a carbon electrode which really made some noise, but also barely gouged the surface. I hear a pair of arcing electrodes with compressed air to blow off the molten metal is recomended foe weld bead removal.I usually gouge a hole with a cutting torch and then finish with a drill if in need a largh hole. Any info on cutting rod, or how to drill 1/2' or larger holes in steel/ Thanks
    • jhn9840
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 9, 2010
        Carbon Arc works well to gouge holes in steel. Requires a stinger that holdes the rod and connects to a compressor to blow air into the desired area. If you are using a drill press the slowest speed possible and lots of cutting oil will work.

        jhn9840
        John

[...]

      • Jerry Smith
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 9, 2010
          What grade of steel is this and has it been previously tempered ot heat treated? I drill 1/2" steel regularly, mild steel I just use a "black iron" drill bit, harder steel I switch to cobalt steel bits or carbide.

          Jerry

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 9, 2010
            I forgot to mention that you have to use a good quality coolant while drill this thickness of steel and use a slow speed.

            Every time I have tried to burn a hole thru steel I get a poor quality area aross the hole.

            Jerry

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 10, 2010
              I hope someone with more experience than I will also chime in.

              Cutting rods melt more slowing but I've not been thrilled with them. There is an arc/air gouging torch that I understand will blow some serious molten iron but I've never seen one used. And there is a rod with air running through it used to gouge.

              Perhaps someone will chime in regarding either of those alternatives?

              Dennis Thornton

              --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "freeadvice777" <freeadvice777@...> wrote:

              > I am an amateur fabricator, love it, but I hate to drill large holes in steel. I got the brilliant idea to use "cutting Rod" to blast a hole in steel but unfortunately was not successful. It seems that this rod is to be used to remove weld bead by blasting it away because it has some special coating. It does not come with instructions so I tried AC and DC reverse at about 90 and 120 V. Is anyone familiar with his rod? It seems to me to be pretty useless. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Also I tried a carbon electrode which really made some noise, but also barely gouged the surface. I hear a pair of arcing electrodes with compressed air to blow off the molten metal is recomended foe weld bead removal.I usually gouge a hole with a cutting torch and then finish with a drill if in need a largh hole. Any info on cutting rod, or how to drill 1/2' or larger holes in steel/ Thanks

            • Cindy and James
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 10, 2010
                I have used Hi Alloy's chamfer arc, see http://www.inweldcorporation.com/HI-ALLOY/datasheets/Hi-Alloy%20Chamfer%20Arc.pdf a few times.  I use it w/ a Lincoln SA 200, DC Straight cranked all the way up, but it was a big rod too.  I have also used air arc gouging rods for about the same application as the Hi Alloy.  Both were to "wash" old weld material away from a location that could not be reached with a grinder or it had to be V'd out and grinding just wasn't practical.  I don't think either application would work for drilling holes.

                If I need a really big hole in thick plate, and the hole does not have to be precise, I use either a torch or plasma.  If it needs to be dressed up a little after cutting, a die grinder will let you shape it up some.

                Drilling large holes requires some equipment, time, patience and planning.  Drill a series of holes, keep getting bigger.  Start with a good sharp bit and a good coolant or cutting oil with a drill press, mag drill, mill, hand drill, whatever you have available.  The bit needs to be capable of cutting the grade of steel.  Drill at a slow speed.  Be careful with the next bigger bit size and don't apply too much pressure or it will take too big a bite and may hang.  This also happens when you are about to go through the piece.  When a bit hangs like that you can get hurt by the drill itself as it can get completely knocked out of your hands.  I always wear my welding gloves to hold the drill, it helps NOT get a mashed finger or hand!

                Safety glasses are a must!

                James

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 10, 2010
                  O.K. I use a PLasma Cutter whne I need to cut or burn thru steel. I still prefer drilling the steel, it takes time to do it properly.

                  Jerry

                  I hope someone with more experience than I will also chime in.

                  Cutting rods melt more slowing but I've not been thrilled with them. There is an arc/air gouging torch that I understand will blow some serious molten iron but I've never seen one used. And there is a rod with air running through it used to gouge.

                  Perhaps someone will chime in regarding either of those alternatives?

                  Dennis Thornton

                  --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "freeadvice777" <freeadvice777@...> wrote:

                  > I am an amateur fabricator, love it, but I hate to drill large holes in steel. I got the brilliant idea to use "cutting Rod" to blast a hole in steel but unfortunately was not successful. It seems that this rod is to be used to remove weld bead by blasting it away because it has some special coating. It does not come with instructions so I tried AC and DC reverse at about 90 and 120 V. Is anyone familiar with his rod? It seems to me to be pretty useless. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Also I tried a carbon electrode which really made some noise, but also barely gouged the surface. I hear a pair of arcing electrodes with compressed air to blow off the molten metal is recomended foe weld bead removal.I usually gouge a hole with a cutting torch and then finish with a drill if in need a largh hole. Any info on cutting rod, or how to drill 1/2' or larger holes in steel/ Thanks

                • Don
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 10, 2010
                    Magnetic or "mag drills" work very good.

[...]

                  • wreck7s
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 10, 2010
                      Are you talking about a lancing rod? If so forget about getting a nice looking hole. If you try do drill out a lanced or air arced hole it will probably tear up your drill bit. Good luck.

                      --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "freeadvice777" <freeadvice777@...> wrote:

                      > I am an amateur fabricator, love it, but I hate to drill large holes in steel. I got the brilliant idea to use "cutting Rod" to blast a hole in steel but unfortunately was not successful. It seems that this rod is to be used to remove weld bead by blasting it away because it has some special coating. It does not come with instructions so I tried AC and DC reverse at about 90 and 120 V. Is anyone familiar with his rod? It seems to me to be pretty useless. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Also I tried a carbon electrode which really made some noise, but also barely gouged the surface. I hear a pair of arcing electrodes with compressed air to blow off the molten metal is recomended foe weld bead removal.I usually gouge a hole with a cutting torch and then finish with a drill if in need a largh hole. Any info on cutting rod, or how to drill 1/2' or larger holes in steel/ Thanks

                    • Steve Bosshard (NU5D)
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 10, 2010
                        I wonder if there is any kind of ceramic die or washer that would make a guide for cutting a very clean hole in plate without the die melting ?  steve

                      • Jerry Smith
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 10, 2010
                          Something made from ductile iron may work, ceramics are like saying steel. There are many different types and kinds. I have some that are like shuttle heat shield materials and others that can make great knives.

                          Jerry

                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 10, 2010

                            The picture in thread #11 is similar to the ones we used in a ship repair yard that I worked in. They would cut,gouge or wash weld away through dirt or rust without any problem. Very handy tool out in the field when working with thick rusty or dirty plate. You can gouge a hole with an electrode if you crank the machine up high enough. Rough on the machine though IMHO.

                            jhn9840
                            John

                            I hope someone with more experience than I will also chime in.

                            Cutting rods melt more slowing but I've not been thrilled with them. There is an arc/air gouging torch that I understand will blow some serious molten iron but I've never seen one used. And there is a rod with air running through it used to gouge.

                            Perhaps someone will chime in regarding either of those alternatives?

                            Dennis Thornton

                            --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "freeadvice777" <freeadvice777@...> wrote:

                            > I am an amateur fabricator, love it, but I hate to drill large holes in steel. I got the brilliant idea to use "cutting Rod" to blast a hole in steel but unfortunately was not successful. It seems that this rod is to be used to remove weld bead by blasting it away because it has some special coating. It does not come with instructions so I tried AC and DC reverse at about 90 and 120 V. Is anyone familiar with his rod? It seems to me to be pretty useless. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Also I tried a carbon electrode which really made some noise, but also barely gouged the surface. I hear a pair of arcing electrodes with compressed air to blow off the molten metal is recomended foe weld bead removal.I usually gouge a hole with a cutting torch and then finish with a drill if in need a largh hole. Any info on cutting rod, or how to drill 1/2' or larger holes in steel/ Thanks

                          • harleyfiredudemetalman
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 14, 2010
                              It sounds alot like Carbon Arc rod. Is it black with a copper band around the top? We used to use it aboard ship to gouge out welds. Wouldn't work real well to punch a hole though. It runs on DCRP.
                              John

                              --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "wreck7s" <wreck7s@...> wrote:

                              > Are you talking about a lancing rod? If so forget about getting a nice looking hole. If you try do drill out a lanced or air arced hole it will probably tear up your drill bit. Good luck.
                              >
                              > --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "freeadvice777" <freeadvice777@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I am an amateur fabricator, love it, but I hate to drill large holes in steel. I got the brilliant idea to use "cutting Rod" to blast a hole in steel but unfortunately was not successful. It seems that this rod is to be used to remove weld bead by blasting it away because it has some special coating. It does not come with instructions so I tried AC and DC reverse at about 90 and 120 V. Is anyone familiar with his rod? It seems to me to be pretty useless. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Also I tried a carbon electrode which really made some noise, but also barely gouged the surface. I hear a pair of arcing electrodes with compressed air to blow off the molten metal is recomended foe weld bead removal.I usually gouge a hole with a cutting torch and then finish with a drill if in need a largh hole. Any info on cutting rod, or how to drill 1/2' or larger holes in steel/ Thanks

                            • magician
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 14, 2010
                                A cut rod was designed to sever metal from an edge or to bevel the edge of a plate.  Black in color, sometimes oval, they produce a carbide are and deposit no metals.  They are very good for anything but piercing a plate..  a cutting torch is good; also an E6010, 1/8" dia electrode set at 185 amps DCEP will punch a hole in 1/2 plate.

                                It sounds alot like Carbon Arc rod. Is it black with a copper band around the top? We used to use it aboard ship to gouge out welds. Wouldn't work real well to punch a hole though. It runs on DCRP.
                                John

                                --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "wreck7s" <wreck7s@...> wrote:

                                > Are you talking about a lancing rod? If so forget about getting a nice looking hole. If you try do drill out a lanced or air arced hole it will probably tear up your drill bit. Good luck.
                                >
                                > --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "freeadvice777" <freeadvice777@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I am an amateur fabricator, love it, but I hate to drill large holes in steel. I got the brilliant idea to use "cutting Rod" to blast a hole in steel but unfortunately was not successful. It seems that this rod is to be used to remove weld bead by blasting it away because it has some special coating. It does not come with instructions so I tried AC and DC reverse at about 90 and 120 V. Is anyone familiar with his rod? It seems to me to be pretty useless. Maybe I'm not doing it right? Also I tried a carbon electrode which really made some noise, but also barely gouged the surface. I hear a pair of arcing electrodes with compressed air to blow off the molten metal is recomended foe weld bead removal.I usually gouge a hole with a cutting torch and then finish with a drill if in need a largh hole. Any info on cutting rod, or how to drill 1/2' or larger holes in steel/ Thanks

                                <*> Your email settings:
                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                <*> To change settings online go to:
                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                <*> To change settings via email:
                                    welding_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                    welding_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • freeadvice777
                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 22, 2010
                                  Yes i'm not talkiny about a pretty hole, but I seen sometimes if you can put 1/4" hole in a 5/16" steel plate then drilling the 3/4" finish hole is easier. Could be I had a dull 3/4" drill. At any rate I'll try cranking up the amps to 185 next time, I didn't get much action at 140 amps, Thanks
                                  '