Arc welder OK for motorcycle frames?

  • sccasey
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 8, 2004
      Hello, building up an old motorcycle and will need to make
      modifications to the frame (adding brackets, tabs, reorienting a
      couple of tubes, etc.) and was wondering if the entry-level 100 amp
      arc welders I've seen everywhere are suitable for these kinds of
      jobs? Most say they can handle metal up to 3/16" -- far thicker than
      the materials I'd be joining. Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
    • 2deep@pkbible.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 8, 2004

        Yes it will work easy, I might recommend a mig welder instead though, much faster working, but more money.

        PK

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 16, 2004
          it all depends on your welding skill, you have to trust your welds,
          it to hold you on the bike while you are riding it. I have people
          come to me because they aren't sure about there welding skill and
          have a professional do that kind of work. You don't want your welds
          breaking while you are out riding. so if you are unsure have a local
          shop do the welding and they will be held liable for any weld
          failure.
          jim
          Dimensional Fabrications Inc.