can you use arc welding rods for oxy acetylene

  • palau1234
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2005
      all i can find are brazing rods, and they're expensive. for gas welding can i
      use the arc welding electrodes?
    • Mike Klotz
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2005
        I'm not saying to do this, but many years ago, I watched the farmer I was working for at the time use a coat hanger when he ran out of welding rods for his oxy/acetylene.   Not sure it would be any easier trying to find plain metal hanger these days. :)  Some of our auto parts stores around here are starting to carry welding supplies.
        Mike
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
          palau1234 wrote:

          >all i can find are brazing rods, and they're expensive. for gas welding can i
          >use the arc welding electrodes?
          >

          >Ordinary welding electrodes (fluxcovered) would not be useable. Migwire would probably work, but as they are thin it would be tricky feeding it at the proper rate.

          In theory, any piece of metal should work, wirecoathanger or a strip of
          the same material that is to be welded on. Mind you I havent been oa
          welding for 25 years now, so just my 2 eurocent
          Henning
        • C. J. Frederick
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 4, 2005
            Look at the AWS specification on GMAW (MIG) welding electrodes. Any wire that
            is designated "R" such as ER70S-6 can be used for gas welding (or TIG
            welding). The "R" in the specification signifies that the electrode can be
            used as a rod or non electrified filler wire.

            CJ

            > all i can find are brazing rods, and they're expensive. for gas welding
            can i

            > use the arc welding electrodes?

            > *
            >  <mailto:welding_group-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe>
            > *
            >
            > *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
            >
            > ----------
          • Johnny
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 16, 2005
              If you mean shielded rods, I would want to clean the shielding off
              before I tried using them. You could get some steel rod (the same type
              steel blah blah) and clean it really well before using (to get rid of
              any oil/grease/oxides). The first thing I ever welded with my torch, I
              (stand back, here it comes!) used some common nails (maybe 8 penny).
              They work, in a pair of vise grips... LOL

              Don't try this at home...
              (unless you as dumb as me)
              Johnathan

              --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "palau1234" <koneill@g...>