Re: [welding_group] Re: TIG welding mild steel, porosity problem

  • C. J. Frederick
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 27 4:43 PM
      The items below are good things to check. The quality of "mild steel"
      varies a
      lot. There are many levels of impurities in the steel depending on the source
      and ASTM designation. Porosity and the "bubbling" mentioned is common. The
      best mild steel to weld is cold rolled as it is of higher quality stock. A
      couple of additional suggestions; make sure the surface and edges of the joint
      are super clean. The best way is to grind them lightly to remove any mill
      scale and other surface contaminants. Make sure you are using a triple
      deoxidized steel filler rod. Extra oxidizers (scavengers) are required to
      remove impurities in poor quality steel. The triple deoxidized filler wire is
      designated as AWS ER70S2. It is available in cut lengths for TIG and gas
      welding. As a last resort use SS rod. It usually eliminates the
      impurity/porosity problem. I use it for most mild steel welding but have the
      triple deoxidized rod for cleaner steel base metal. The SS alloy I use is
      ER308LSi. It is a common low carbon (the "L") high silicon ("SI") filler.
      The
      silicon helps remove impurities and improve wetability. I just modified an
      oil
      pan using the SS rod and it worked fine with no porosity.

      C Frederick