Stick Welding Technique?

  • borpe2008
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
      I'm fairly new to welding, and I'm currently taking a welding course in a local CC.

      I'm trying to improve my stick welding technique. There doesn't seem to be a lot written on exactly how to move the stinger/stick.

      A previous teacher said just move the rod smoothly. The new teacher wants to see definite freeze lines. He says to move the rod out of the puddle on the "one" count of one-two-three, then put it back over the puddle for "two-three". I'm also having trouble finding the right height for the rod. The teacher wants me to almost put the rod into the puddle, but when I do this the rod hits surrounding unmelted metal when I try to flick the rod sideways. The result of all this is inconsistent freeze lines and lots of splatter.

      So how to do this consistently? (I'm using E6010, 1/8" or 5/32", 90-110 amps).
    • Joe Blow
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
        yes with e6010 this is a pause and step rod. you want to move forward about and 1/8 inch or so pause for 1 second or so then move back if you do it right you will have a stack of dimes look. any 60 rod usually is this way. 7018 and 7024 are drag rods let me know how it works out jay

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2009
          Also when your'e in the field (out of the shop) you will come across different fit-ups, joints and power supplies. Thats when you find out what technique works for you.