Re: Mig welding

  • cyborgassassin
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "smallhand27" <smallhand27@y...>
      wrote:
      > Today I converted my Lincoln welder from gasless to gas. Not being
      > very good, yet, I attempted to weld 1/8" angle. I got a lot
      > of "popping"(simular to gas welding). I'm sure whats causing this.
      > Also, What's the correct gas setting(arco2)?
      >
      > Ray Hill

      c25(75% argon 25% CO2) is the norm for welding steels..also found er70s-
      6 wire works best on steel as well little spatter good weld
      caracteristics...of course thats my personal opinion on welding wire on
      a gas setup..

      as for the popping check wire speed and alloy of wire being used my
      welder does a good bit of popping if i run a flux cored wire in it
      thats why i run standard wire with gas now..
    • nickso2
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
        Check that your wire is in the drive groove correctly and tension is
        good.
        This happened to me a few weeks ago after a "bump" and the wire came
        out of the groove and did not feed correctly resulting in a start-
        stop arc giving the popping sound.

        Good luck
        Nick

        --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "cyborgassassin"
        <cyborgassassin@h...> wrote:
        > --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "smallhand27"
        <smallhand27@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > Today I converted my Lincoln welder from gasless to gas. Not
        being
        > > very good, yet, I attempted to weld 1/8" angle. I got a lot
        > > of "popping"(simular to gas welding). I'm sure whats causing this.
        > > Also, What's the correct gas setting(arco2)?
        > >
        > > Ray Hill
        >

        > c25(75% argon 25% CO2) is the norm for welding steels..also found
        er70s-
        > 6 wire works best on steel as well little spatter good weld
        > caracteristics...of course thats my personal opinion on welding
        wire on
        > a gas setup..
        >
        > as for the popping check wire speed and alloy of wire being used my
        > welder does a good bit of popping if i run a flux cored wire in it
        > thats why i run standard wire with gas now..
      • Big Redbird
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
          75/25 isn't always the best gas to use. I've had better results on
          steels using 98/2 or 95/5 mixes. 75/25 is notorious for high
          spatter due to the cooling effect of the CO2 in the mix. You should
          be flowing about 25 to 30 CFM reading the bottom of the ball as a
          point of reference.

          The 'popping' could be the CO2 or it could be a wire feed speed
          problem; but could be the result of the gas. I agree with the
          selection of a 70 series wire; ER70-S3 or S6 are excellent choices.

          Totsuwa

          <cyborgassassin@h...> wrote:
          > --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "smallhand27"
          <smallhand27@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > Today I converted my Lincoln welder from gasless to gas. Not
          being
          > > very good, yet, I attempted to weld 1/8" angle. I got a lot
          > > of "popping"(simular to gas welding). I'm sure whats causing
          this.
          > > Also, What's the correct gas setting(arco2)?
          > >
          > > Ray Hill
          >

          > c25(75% argon 25% CO2) is the norm for welding steels..also found
          er70s-
          > 6 wire works best on steel as well little spatter good weld
          > caracteristics...of course thats my personal opinion on welding
          wire on
          > a gas setup..
          >
          > as for the popping check wire speed and alloy of wire being used
          my
          > welder does a good bit of popping if i run a flux cored wire in it
          > thats why i run standard wire with gas now..
        • Peter
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 18, 2005
            I have just acquired a  SIP supermig 330 415 volt welder an was wondering if anyone had a chart for voltage, wire feed etc settings.

            Kindest Regards
            Peter

            Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!
          • Jeff Dukovac
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 19, 2005
              Miller makes a slide rule type chart for MIG and TIG.
              They are about $5 each at the welding stores.

              Jeff

              Peter <richopet@...> wrote:
              I have just acquired a  SIP supermig 330 415 volt welder an was wondering if anyone had a chart for voltage, wire feed etc settings.

              Kindest Regards
              Peter

              Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Frank Trozzo
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 20, 2005
                Hi Peter,

                You don't need a chart. Just start with the dials in the center of
                their range and run a test weld and look at the heat. If the heat is
                right you'll see some red color at the weld before it cools. If it
                extends through the plate you have full penetration. Then adjust your
                wire speed as you weld until it sounds like bacon frying.

                Long beads on 1/4" plate is about the best way to get the best looking
                bead profile. Mark down your settings once the bead profile looks
                right. Then raise and lower accordingly for different thicknesses.
                And keep track of your wire thickness, that will make a difference.

                --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "Peter" <richopet@i...> wrote:

                > I have just acquired a SIP supermig 330 415 volt welder an was
                wondering if
                > anyone had a chart for voltage, wire feed etc settings.
                >
                > Kindest Regards
                > Peter

              • Rob in New Hampshire
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 20, 2005

                  Miller sells the slide charts for like $2.50 on the website millerwelds.com

                  Funny you see people on The E* selling them in sets for $10 + $5 freight.. losers

                  It's a great reference til you get used to dealing with REAL power.. lol

                  I mean real as I went from a 110-v Craftsman to a 220 Millermatic 251 digital..

                  LOVE IT !

                  Robs homepage:
                  http://www.AMMOMAN.com/RobsProjects

                  Robs Sandblaster Design
                  http://www.PABlaster.com

                  "Everything happens for a reason, it's up to us to change our behavior, thoughts, actions and reactions to life."

                  From: Jeff Dukovac <jeffdukovac@...>
                  To: welding_group@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: Re: [welding_group] Mig welding
                  Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 08:26:03 -0800 (PST)

                  Peter <richopet@...> wrote:
                  I have just acquired a  SIP supermig 330 415 volt welder an was wondering if anyone had a chart for voltage, wire feed etc settings.

                  Kindest Regards
                  Peter

                  Add FUN to your email - CLICK HERE!

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                  HobbyHobby and craft supplyCraft hobby
                  Hobbies and craftsOrnamental iron railingsMetalworking tools

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                • Peter
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 27, 2005
                    Thank you Frank for your advise, will give it a go , Just thought there might be a chart to make it easier i.e. plate to sheet metal.