How to weld 2 different types of metals?

  • jasperctan
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2008
      Can I ask if anyone has any suggestions on how to weld together a
      1.5mm thin sheet of stainless steel to a steel plate 5mm thick?
    • lynn_b_nutz
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
        Try E309 or E309L filler.

        --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "jasperctan" <jasperctan@...> wrote:

        > Can I ask if anyone has any suggestions on how to weld together a
        > 1.5mm thin sheet of stainless steel to a steel plate 5mm thick?

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008
          Use stainless steel filler and weld it the same as you would the two
          pieces if they were both stainless steel.

          jasperctan wrote:

          > Can I ask if anyone has any suggestions on how to weld together a
          > 1.5mm thin sheet of stainless steel to a steel plate 5mm thick?

        • Jay Gold
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2008

            Ken,

                        Sorry to tell you but you are incorrect.  This should be welded with E 309 or E309L.  This filler metal is especially made for welding SS to mild steel. J

            Lynn has it correct.

            Jay

            jasperctan wrote:

            > Can I ask if anyone has any suggestions on how to weld together a
            > 1.5mm thin sheet of stainless steel to a steel plate 5mm thick?

          • jasper vernon tan
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2008
              Specifically what kind of machine should be used for this kind of welding application? When you say filler, are you talking about the filler rod? Here in the Philippines we are just starting to use the TIG/ GTAW welder. So are you talking about this machine.

              jasperctan wrote:

              > Can I ask if anyone has any suggestions on how to weld together a
              > 1.5mm thin sheet of stainless steel to a steel plate 5mm thick?

              New Email names for you!
              Hurry before someone else does!
            • tantawy_ebrahim
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 6, 2008
                --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "jasperctan" <jasperctan@...> wrote:

                > Can I ask if anyone has any suggestions on how to weld together a
                > 1.5mm thin sheet of stainless steel to a steel plate 5mm thick?

                you can weld by TIG process using electrode 309