Re: Welding shield

  • lynn_b_nutz
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1 5:52 AM
      Years ago I worked in a shop that changed management. The first thing
      the new operating VP did was have the shop basically steam cleaned
      from top to bottom. Made an incredible difference in almost
      everything. Lighting, of course, from getting all the dark crud off
      the white ceiling insulation. Rework dropped a bit, too. Everything
      was positive except for one thing. Eye problems went up. Why?
      Reflected arc light off the now-bright ceiling! The cure was wearing
      tinted side shields on safety glasses. The guys who wore contacts or
      who didn't need glasses wore tinted safety glasses to start with, so
      they didn't have problems. The guys who wore prescription safety
      glasses usually had clear side shields, and the reflected light
      started bothering them. The other part of the cure was to paint the
      inside if their helmets with a fresh coat of flat black paint (lenses
      removed, of course). That's a good idea anyway, by the way. Helps a
      lot with reflected glare, especially when working outside.

      Hope this helps,

      Lynn B.

      --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, Mike Pennington <aicomp1@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Don't spare money where your eyes are concerned. I have a Jackson Boss
      > and an EQC auto dark helmet. I love both and have not a single regret
      > for buying either.
      >
      > Mike

    • sarah shevett
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1 9:23 AM
        No, it attached to the gun, it wasn't hand held. I just saw it in a magazine somewhere. I have a helmet but I really hate wearing it. But I understand abut reflected light, etc. Just was curious about it.

        thanks
        sarah

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1 10:07 AM
          Kathryn, Why do you think it is stupid. I have been using one for a
          number of years. Great for tacking, watching other folks weld. Most
          of the time I weld with a hood but the shield do have a place and you
          don't always have to hold them Some can be attached to the MIG gun.