Need help

  • j9medeiros
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
      Hi all I am new to this group and I am very impressed with the
      questions and the answers that I have seen here.
      I have been MIG welding for years and I guess that I am a old school.
      My question is has anyone used the gold coated welding filters and what
      do you think of them.
      I have picked up a Clarke 180 for my home use and it came with a auto
      darkening helmet and how good are they. ( boy has things changed in
      the years I have been out of the trade )
      Thank you for any help.
      Joe
    • Metalworker Mike
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
        j9medeiros wrote:
        > My question is has anyone used the gold coated welding filters and what
        > do you think of them.

        They are fabulous to use, but they aren't perfect. The benefit is
        that they reflect a great deal of light back onto the workpiece so that
        you can see what you are doing. This is very, very nice. The drawbacks
        are that the colour is kind of odd - amber-yellows instead of orange,
        and the gold coating, which is very thin, is fragile and can get
        scratched if not babied when replacing the inner protective lens. If
        the coating gets scratched, the lens is basically trash because light
        will leak through that scratch, your pupils will slam shut, and you
        won't be able to see anything.

        > I have picked up a Clarke 180 for my home use and it came with a auto
        > darkening helmet and how good are they. ( boy has things changed in
        > the years I have been out of the trade )

        The new, expensive ones are very good, but I usually use a
        conventional helmet for the colour rendition. Auto-darks are great for
        starting the bead, but for actual welding I prefer a conventional hood.

        Mike
      • kathryn
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2008
          Yes, I use one all the time. I keep a shade 9 and a shade 10 handy at all times and switch between them as needed. To me it seems like the colours are clearer and I can see the puddle & edges better  than the green regular lenses. I do have an auto-dark but when welding over-head I use a regular helmet with a gold-coated lense. Try it out, I like the plastic lense better that the glass one. Happy rod burning!

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2008
            my opinion on the gold linses is they are good as long as they dont get a scratch on them because they will leak then and we all now how that feels the auto hoods are good to me they are a little hevey have used a couple of differant ones and they all seem to work good it is realy up to you me I like my old jackson and probly will never change because of the weight good luck and remember to allways have fun

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 7, 2008
              --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "j9medeiros" <j9medeiros@...>
              wrote:

              > Hi all I am new to this group and I am very impressed with the
              > questions and the answers that I have seen here.
              > I have been MIG welding for years and I guess that I am a old school.
              > My question is has anyone used the gold coated welding filters and
              what
              > do you think of them.
              > I have picked up a Clarke 180 for my home use and it came with a auto
              > darkening helmet and how good are they. ( boy has things changed in
              > the years I have been out of the trade )
              > Thank you for any help.
              > Joe

              Joe..I too am Ol'School....very..just retired my old jackson
              pipeliner..which i always used gold..i perfer glass...but plastic is
              all that seems avalible these days..i recently got a Hobart speed
              lens..9 to 13 ,low amp tig..I wish i would have got one years ago..but
              I was to stuck in my "Ol'School" ways...L.O.L....So i guess its like
              this Gold is Good but these new speed lens are Great!!..If you get a
              good one..an speaking of things changing in the trade ive been in 30
              years an they change right in front of your face...but thank God there
              is still room in this world for us Ol' Dinosaur's....