crack problem in stainless steel 409s plate

  • shashank
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2004
      hi group

      i am recently facing a problem of cracking in stainless steel 409S
      plate.my welder welded it without preheating with plasma arc
      welding. he used S.S. 309L filler wire. the main problem is that the
      structure is very huge with circular diameter 2 meters.cracked
      developed during forming of structure.

      please help me in this huge problem for me.

      shashank
    • ggaazzeellllee
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 17, 2004
        --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "shashank"
        <shashank_gwt2k1@y...> wrote:
        > hi group
        >
        > i am recently facing a problem of cracking in stainless steel 409S
        > plate.my welder welded it without preheating with plasma arc
        > welding. he used S.S. 309L filler wire. the main problem is that
        the
        > structure is very huge with circular diameter 2 meters.cracked
        > developed during forming of structure.
        >
        > please help me in this huge problem for me.
        >
        > shashank

        I might have a clue for you. I welded 1/2" 316 SS rod into rings about
        6" in diameter and welded them into 10 ga. mild steel as round eye
        linings. They cracked alot at the welds until I went to welding 1" at
        a time and let them cool off, very slow but no cracks, the rod was SS
        1/8" 308 rod. John