Re: Welder Spec Questions....

  • Harold
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2004
      --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "trextrev" <trextrev@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hey guys,
      >
      > I wanted to learn to weld, and have been self taught for the lack
      of
      > classes in my area. So far I am doing pretty well, good beads good
      > strength, etc, etc.... But I have a question. My 80 Amp DC MIG
      welder
      > says it can weld up to 3/16", and I usually weld 1/8" 1" square
      > tubing at 90s and other angles, yadda , yadda.... When they say
      > 3/16", do they mean in total, or what, I mean how do the specs and
      > measurements work. I heard that means in one pass, but is that
      3/16"
      > per piece or in total thickness???
      >
      > HELP!
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Trev.

      If my memory serves me correct, when you machine says it can weld up
      to 3/16", that means thickness of the metal, or wall thickness of
      tubing, which ever you are welding.
    • john kupris
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 28, 2004
        wrote:
        > Hey guys,
        >
        > I wanted to learn to weld, and have been self taught for the lack
        of
        > classes in my area. So far I am doing pretty well, good beads good
        > strength, etc, etc.... But I have a question. My 80 Amp DC MIG
        welder
        > says it can weld up to 3/16", and I usually weld 1/8" 1" square
        > tubing at 90s and other angles, yadda , yadda.... When they say
        > 3/16", do they mean in total, or what, I mean how do the specs and
        > measurements work. I heard that means in one pass, but is that
        3/16"
        > per piece or in total thickness???
        >
        > HELP!
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Trev.

        Hi trev, they mean that your welder will handle welds on 3/16" steel,
        forget about the one pass thing, just watch the puddle of molten
        metal and drag it along so that you get a good weld. The rod should
        point slightly in the direction of travel and if the heat is too high
        you will get spatter and burn throughs but you will learn faster with
        hot rather than cold. John
      • Mac McAllister
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2004
          He is using a mig---the thickness refers the actual side or piece of metal you are welding on,  Yes that is one pass. If you have a small 110 Mig you can push your luck to make multi pass welds, but I wouldn't do it. What kind of Mig Welder do you have? I'll send your some diagrams but I'm busy teaching high school ag. class. I'll get back with you later.

          wrote:
          > Hey guys,
          >
          >  I wanted to learn to weld, and have been self taught for the lack
          of
          > classes in my area. So far I am doing pretty well, good beads good
          > strength, etc, etc.... But I have a question. My 80 Amp DC MIG
          welder
          > says it can weld up to 3/16", and I usually weld 1/8" 1" square
          > tubing at 90s and other angles, yadda , yadda.... When they say
          > 3/16", do they mean in total, or what, I mean how do the specs and
          > measurements work. I heard that means in one pass, but is that
          3/16"
          > per piece or in total thickness???
          >
          > HELP!
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Trev.

          Hi trev, they mean that your welder will handle welds on 3/16" steel,
          forget about the one pass thing, just watch the puddle of molten
          metal and drag it along so that you get a good weld. The rod should
          point slightly in the direction of travel and if the heat is too high
          you will get spatter and burn throughs but you will learn faster with
          hot rather than cold.  John

          Do you Yahoo!?
          The all-new My Yahoo! � Get yours free!