Welding helmet lens opinion wanted: Any NexGen EQC or Jackson BOSS EQC users?

  • tp
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
      Hi,
        If you use or have used either the NexGen EQC  and/or  Jackson BOSS EQC Auto Dark Lens  would you please give me your input? If anyone out there has used both I'd like to hear your opinon. Thank you!
      Tim

    • rockymtnsteel
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2008
        I've used the EQC for the large window size, and found it to be pretty
        heavy, but durable. I liked being able to replace the AAA batteries
        at any convenience store. You almost never end up using the low
        setting for grinding, so it's really only good for the weld and torch
        settings. The shape of my head doesn't make for a good fit with
        hoods, so I had to crank it pretty tight to keep it from sliding down.
        I switched to a Miller Elite hood, and the frequent headaches I was
        getting disappeared! Turns out the weight of the EQC was screwing up
        my neck. If anyone tells you that a few ounces don't matter, they're
        lying... and they've never worn a hood for 8 hrs a day. Only problem
        was with TIG welding at really low amperages (like thin stainless
        sheet), the sensitivity had to be turned WAY up... and the shape of
        the Miller hood around the neck requires a leather cover. The Lincoln
        hoods fit my shoulders better, but I don't miss the headaches. FOr
        the money, I'd recommend the Miller Elite over the Nexgen EQC.
        Performance is almost equal (the miller screen gets "lighter" when not
        shaded), but the weight issue made the difference for me. The new
        Elites claim to detect more than visible light, so your hood won't
        turn off as you weld around the corner of a piece... but mine doesn't
        have this, so as I go around a pipe, if I can't see the weld, it will
        turn off if the sensitivity is turned too low.