Welding Manganese

  • Olympic
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2008
      I am contract welding for a scrap yard on their metal shredder (mill)
      and it involves welding manganese to itself and also manganese to
      carbon steel. If anyone can help me with pre-heat temps, polarity,
      methods or any other knowledge, I would be greatly appreciative.

      I am using Stultz 1616 alloy. Stultz has been near zero help as to any
      technical info on their rod.

      Thanks, George
    • Don
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2008
        I don't know about the welding of manganese, however I've heard it's
        Very toxic.
        Don

        --- Olympic <ghusted@...> wrote:

        > I am contract welding for a scrap yard on their metal shredder (mill)
        >
        > and it involves welding manganese to itself and also manganese to
        > carbon steel. If anyone can help me with pre-heat temps, polarity,
        > methods or any other knowledge, I would be greatly appreciative.
        >
        > I am using Stultz 1616 alloy. Stultz has been near zero help as to
        > any
        > technical info on their rod.
        >
        > Thanks, George

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2008
          I doubt that you are welding manganese to itself. I would suspect that
          you are welding high manganese steel.

          from the Stultz web site

          *STULZ 1616 ELECTRODES*

          All purpose high chromium, high manganese for high strength joining of
          manganese steel to other alloy steels and for multi-pass build-up for
          good wear resistance. Cannot be flame cut. Standard length 14". AC-DC