Beginners trouble with my 110V stick welder...stick too big?

  • goadarama
    Message 1 of 32 , Feb 3, 2008
      Hi.... new to this group and glad I found it. We bought a little Clarke
      130 amp (110V) stick welder and I bought 5 pounds of E6011 3/32 rod,
      that Clarke says the machine will handle. Maybe I'm a typically
      frustrated beginner but I'm having a tough go even getting a arc going.
      I'm running it at 90 amps and it sparks off but almost immediately
      sticks. Once I can get a arc going I can run it a good ways but that's
      only been twice so far! I'm welding on a 4"X24" piece of 1/8th inch
      mild steel plate. Electrode too big? Need more power? 6011 the wrong
      choice? Typical beginner woes and just keep at it? Any suggestions
      would be immensely appreciated. Best wishes, from Anacortes, Washington.
    • Matthew
      Message 32 of 32 , Feb 12, 2008
        So i finally got my cheap helmet. Yikes, cheap. I got
        it from Oregon supply via ebay. about 20$ shipped! it
        is OK for my kids to use when watching me weld, but
        the contrast between the bright spot / arc and the
        surrounding area is not strong enough, so you can't
        see the whole area. does this make sense?

        conclusion- you get what you pay for? I'm sticking
        with the classic head-nod variety :-)

        matt

        "may the four winds blow you safely home"

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?