Lincoln AC 225 Stick Welder Troubleshooting

  • taolsen2003
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2007
      I recently purchased 2nd hand an old Welder. I am not sure of the
      age, but I think it may be 40 years old. Used it today for the first
      time. I noticed the selector switch does not always seem to make
      contact, but after jiggling the selector switch, I was able to start
      the arc. I laid down straight beads using about five 1/8" 6013 rods
      on about 125 Amp current. I did this during about a 45 minute
      period. About this time, during the middle of use, the fan stopped
      and the arc stopped simultaneously. I rested for at least an hour,
      tried to re-start. Machine will not work at all now. I did check to
      make sure the circuit breaker on the dryer circuit was not tripped. I
      am not sure what is wrong. I have been on Lincoln's website, browsed
      through manual and parts list. I will start taking machine apart and
      trying to figure out what is wrong. Any suggestions or tips for
      troubleshooting?

      Thanks, Todd Olsen
    • pupdieselluv
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
        I have the same if not a similar model.
        You mentioned the switch needed to be wiggeled. Unplug the unit and
        remove the cover on the left side and see if the switch is tight and
        the connections are OK.
        Does your machine have a large hand wheel in front to change the
        welding current? Check the connections on he back side of that also.
        Look at the location where the unit is grounded insiode the cabinet.

        Mostly the insides are very simple and you shoud look for obvious
        loose connections. If the Switch is internally loose (worn out)
        RELPLACE IT!
        I'd have to check to see what the continuous amp (welding cycle)
        is. 125AMPs is a fair size load, but if the machine has not been
        aboused (dropped smashed ect) you should have good results with
        checking the basics of good tight connections.
        Regards,
        Eric
        I live in northern VA if you are near by I can stop over.

        --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "taolsen2003" <Todd_Olsen@...>
        wrote:

        > I recently purchased 2nd hand an old Welder. I am not sure of the
        > age, but I think it may be 40 years old. Used it today for the
        first
        > time. I noticed the selector switch does not always seem to make
        > contact, but after jiggling the selector switch, I was able to
        start
        > the arc. I laid down straight beads using about five 1/8" 6013
        rods
        > on about 125 Amp current. I did this during about a 45 minute
        > period. About this time, during the middle of use, the fan stopped
        > and the arc stopped simultaneously. I rested for at least an hour,
        > tried to re-start. Machine will not work at all now. I did check
        > make sure the circuit breaker on the dryer circuit was not
        tripped. I
        > am not sure what is wrong. I have been on Lincoln's website,
        browsed
        > through manual and parts list. I will start taking machine apart
        and
        > trying to figure out what is wrong. Any suggestions or tips for
        > troubleshooting?
        >
        > Thanks, Todd Olsen

      • taolsen2003
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
          Thanks for the suggestions. I will report back once I have opened it
          up. Can purchase another selector switch from Lincoln and will check
          all connections inside. I am in N. Cal, so I probably won't be
          seeing you anytime soon.
          Todd
          --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "pupdieselluv" <hmshop@...>
          wrote:

          > I have the same if not a similar model.
          > You mentioned the switch needed to be wiggeled. Unplug the unit and
          > remove the cover on the left side and see if the switch is tight
          and
          > the connections are OK.
          > Does your machine have a large hand wheel in front to change the
          > welding current? Check the connections on he back side of that also.
          > Look at the location where the unit is grounded insiode the cabinet.
          >
          > Mostly the insides are very simple and you shoud look for obvious
          > loose connections. If the Switch is internally loose (worn out)
          > RELPLACE IT!
          > I'd have to check to see what the continuous amp (welding cycle)
          > is. 125AMPs is a fair size load, but if the machine has not been
          > aboused (dropped smashed ect) you should have good results with
          > checking the basics of good tight connections.
          > Regards,
          > Eric
          > I live in northern VA if you are near by I can stop over.
          >

          > --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "taolsen2003" <Todd_Olsen@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I recently purchased 2nd hand an old Welder. I am not sure of
          the
          > > age, but I think it may be 40 years old. Used it today for the
          > first
          > > time. I noticed the selector switch does not always seem to make
          > > contact, but after jiggling the selector switch, I was able to
          > start
          > > the arc. I laid down straight beads using about five 1/8" 6013
          > rods
          > > on about 125 Amp current. I did this during about a 45 minute
          > > period. About this time, during the middle of use, the fan
          stopped
          > > and the arc stopped simultaneously. I rested for at least an
          hour,
          > > tried to re-start. Machine will not work at all now. I did
          check
          > > make sure the circuit breaker on the dryer circuit was not
          > tripped. I
          > > am not sure what is wrong. I have been on Lincoln's website,
          > browsed
          > > through manual and parts list. I will start taking machine apart
          > and
          > > trying to figure out what is wrong. Any suggestions or tips for
          > > troubleshooting?
          > >
          > > Thanks, Todd Olsen

        • taolsen2003
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2007
            nevermind. i just heard the dryer is, in fact, not heating. so one
            pole on the circuit breaker had flipped. dryer would light and spin,
            so i figured it was working, it wasn't heating, though. the welder
            caused half the circuit breaker to flip. I guess i will not be
            welding for long at the 125 amp setting.
            thanks, todd olsen

            wrote:

> [...]
            > > start
            > > > the arc. I laid down straight beads using about five 1/8" 6013
            > > rods
            > > > on about 125 Amp current. I did this during about a 45 minute
            > > > period. About this time, during the middle of use, the fan
            > stopped
            > > > and the arc stopped simultaneously. I rested for at least an
            > hour,
            > > > tried to re-start. Machine will not work at all now. I did
            > check
            > > > make sure the circuit breaker on the dryer circuit was not
            > > tripped. I
            > > > am not sure what is wrong. I have been on Lincoln's website,
            > > browsed
            > > > through manual and parts list. I will start taking machine
            apart
            > > and
            > > > trying to figure out what is wrong. Any suggestions or tips

          • pupdieselluv
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 5, 2007
              Todd,
              What do you mean one pole flipper??? Are you saying youhave a 220
              circuit breaker where both toggles are NOT pinned or connected
              together?
              If so this is an electution waiting to happen.
              Eric
              wrote:

              > nevermind. i just heard the dryer is, in fact, not heating. so
              one
              > pole on the circuit breaker had flipped. dryer would light and
              spin,
              > so i figured it was working, it wasn't heating, though. the welder
              > caused half the circuit breaker to flip. I guess i will not be
              > welding for long at the 125 amp setting.
              > thanks, todd olsen
              >
              > --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "taolsen2003" <Todd_Olsen@>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks for the suggestions. I will report back once I have
              opened
              > it
              > > up. Can purchase another selector switch from Lincoln and will
              > check
              > > all connections inside. I am in N. Cal, so I probably won't be
              > > seeing you anytime soon.
              > > Todd
              > > --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "pupdieselluv" <hmshop@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I have the same if not a similar model.
              > > > You mentioned the switch needed to be wiggeled. Unplug the unit
              > and
              > > > remove the cover on the left side and see if the switch is
              tight
              > > and
              > > > the connections are OK.
              > > > Does your machine have a large hand wheel in front to change
              the
              > > > welding current? Check the connections on he back side of that
              > also.
              > > > Look at the location where the unit is grounded insiode the
              > cabinet.
              > > >
              > > > Mostly the insides are very simple and you shoud look for
              obvious
              > > > loose connections. If the Switch is internally loose (worn out)
              > > > RELPLACE IT!
              > > > I'd have to check to see what the continuous amp (welding
              cycle)
              > > > is. 125AMPs is a fair size load, but if the machine has not
              been
              > > > aboused (dropped smashed ect) you should have good results
              with
              > > > checking the basics of good tight connections.
              > > > Regards,
              > > > Eric
              > > > I live in northern VA if you are near by I can stop over.
              > > >

              > > > --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "taolsen2003"
              <Todd_Olsen@>

              > > the
              > > > first
              > make
              > > > start
              > > > rods
              > > stopped
              > > hour,
              > > check
              > > > tripped. I
              > > > browsed
              > apart
              > > > and
              > for

            • taolsen2003
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2007
                Yes, there are two breakers on the dryer circuit, and they are not
                pinned together. Later, I will look to see if this is the way the air
                conditioner is done, as well. Each is marker dryer, so one would
                presumably be at risk of getting electrocuted if one turned off one,
                not knowing the other was still hot. I wonder what the electrical code
                says about this. I will try to look it up and report back.

                Todd

                --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "pupdieselluv" <hmshop@...> wrote:

                > Todd,
                > What do you mean one pole flipper??? Are you saying youhave a 220
                > circuit breaker where both toggles are NOT pinned or connected
                > together?
                > If so this is an electution waiting to happen.
                > Eric

              • uhmgawa
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2007
                  taolsen2003 wrote:

                  > Yes, there are two breakers on the dryer circuit, and they are not
                  > pinned together. Later, I will look to see if this is the way the air
                  > conditioner is done, as well. Each is marker dryer, so one would
                  > presumably be at risk of getting electrocuted if one turned off one,
                  > not knowing the other was still hot. I wonder what the electrical code
                  > says about this. I will try to look it up and report back.

                  That's a NEC violation for as far back as I can remember.
                  All current carrying conductors in any branch circuit must
                  be de-energized concurrently.

                  --
                  uhmgawa@...
                • pupdieselluv
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 8, 2007
                    uhmgawa is correct. Both must be off together.
                    If you are innrothern VA I'll come over and fix it for you. (Don't
                    want bad things to happen to a fellow wleding enthauiast)
                    :-)
                    Eric

                    --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, uhmgawa <uhmgawa@...> wrote:

                    > taolsen2003 wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Yes, there are two breakers on the dryer circuit, and they are not
                    > > pinned together. Later, I will look to see if this is the way the
                    air
                    > > conditioner is done, as well. Each is marker dryer, so one would
                    > > presumably be at risk of getting electrocuted if one turned off
                    one,
                    > > not knowing the other was still hot. I wonder what the electrical
                    code
                    > > says about this. I will try to look it up and report back.
                    >
                    > That's a NEC violation for as far back as I can remember.
                    > All current carrying conductors in any branch circuit must
                    > be de-energized concurrently.
                    >
                    > --
                    > uhmgawa@...

                  • Ken