Re: New Member With Questions

  • ramin_kondori
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
      Hi everybody :

      I read about someone is going to weld 4130 as his first experience.
      hoooooooooooooo........!!!!!!
      that is what I call "balls!"
      becareful ! it is a Cr.Mo.steel that is normalized.
      U.T.S is above 95 ksi and MIG is a bad choice unless pulsed arc with
      recommendations of an expert.
      SMAW is abetter choice using E10018-(B3) with electrode dia2.5 as
      first pass, 3.25 as second and 4 for the third pass.
      BUT you absolutely need a welding engineer by your side.
      MAN !!! it is aviation field not one floor steel structure !!!
      if you are really into doing it by yourself contact me on
      ramin_kondori@...

      bye....

      Ramin Kondori
      --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" <stan-k@...> wrote:

      > Merrill,
      > I am no expert in welding but I too am going to be working on an
      > airframe soon. I have done much research and spoke to many experts
      in
      > the field of welding 4130 in airframes and they all say that MIG
      > welding in airframes can be done but NOT recommended. A better
      choice
      > for that application is Oxy-acc or a TIG setup. Talk to your local
      EAA
      > chapter and do some research before starting to weld up your
      airplane.
      > Stan Bearhawk plans built #947
      > --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "Merrill" <skymanta@> wrote:
      > >
      > > A good day to all!
      > > Glad I found this list. I was given a new lincoln 175 pro mig
      still
      > > in the box and decided to learn to MIG weld. I have been useing
      mixed
      > > gas and ER70S-6 wire on 4130 .035 tubeing and cutting and
      testing the
      > > welds by bending. You are right, I would like to weld up an
      airframe
      > > someday. But before I do this I will learn and practice and
      practice.

      > > I have found that a tube will tear about 1/4 inch from the bead
      if the
      > > bead is run along the joint. However, if the bead is across the
      joint
      > > all the way around, (harder to weld this way),it will not tear.
      WHY?