Re: [SPAM] [welding_group] Re: What else is dangerous about welding?

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 1, 2007
      They may be dangerous but we had someone check the area around our
      grinder and could not detect any radiation. There are normally 20+
      students grinding their tungstens at class once or twice a week.

      dan.pinvidic wrote:

      > 2% thoriated tungsten (red band) contains Thorium.
      > This is a radio active isotope.
      > So you want to wear a respirator when grinding them.
      > You should be careful about the dust build-up also.
      >
      > I am not sure hor serious this is for us hobbyists, since
      > we don't grind that often (plus most of my hair is already gone..:>).
      > Anyway, that is what I have read about this.
      >
      > Dan
      >
      > --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:welding_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "Don McDonald"
      > <donmcdonald@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Our neighbor in the last city we lived in stick welded in the rain
      > > regularly. I suggested that he was crazy, but he was quite confident
      > that it
      > > was all ok.
      > >
      > > So, what is the problem grinding tungsten? I am still a Tig virgin.
      > >
      > > DonM

    • dan.pinvidic
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 1, 2007
        Hi Ken,

        So what is your take on wearing a respirator when grinding Thoriated
        tugnsten? The books I have read say to wear one, but they may be
        saying this from a liability standpoint.

        I am wondering if 2% really is a dangerous amount. It is a pain
        to worry about the mask.

        Dan