What's flashburn?

  • ironprojects
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 17, 2004
      For people who don't know what flashburn is; just about all career
      welders have had it.

      Flashburn comes from looking directly or indirectly at the welding
      glow without eye protection.

      I have had flashburn about 3 times over the last 26 years. Two of
      the times I wasn't even the one doing the welding. I was helping set
      steel bars to be welded in place.

      How it feels:
      In all cases of flashburn that I have had, I would wake up in the
      middle of the night feeling like someone poured tiny sherds of
      broken glass in my eyes. When this happens, you cannot sleep; you
      just wait the 1/2 to 3 hours for it to go away while holding a cold
      wet washrag against your eyeballs.

      You know you have been broke in when you get flashburn...
    • oldcrustyman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 17, 2004
        Nothing like an injury story to start my day.

        --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com, "ironprojects"