RE: [welding_group] Re: Welding Furnace

  • Ken Olsen
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2006

      Check out this website: http://www.powdercoatoven.4t.com/ for how to make a powder coating oven.

      Ken

      -----Original Message-----
      From: welding_group@yahoogroups.com [mailto:welding_group@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Jeffery
      Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 1:12 PM
      To: welding_group@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [welding_group] Re: Welding Furnace

      --- In welding_group@ yahoogroups. com, Mark W <mnm3693234@ ...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have any ideas on getting or building a
      > relitively inexpensive furnace for preheating aluminum
      > cylinder heads prior to TIG welding?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Mark

      > Do You Yahoo!?
      > http://mail. yahoo.com

      Mark,
      I am new here. But, I have built a simple electric oven to accept
      items up to 3'8" in diameter. I am not sure what temp you are needing
      to reach. My oven will hold a temperature of 500 degrees. It is a
      simple 4'x4'x4' anlgle iron box (2" standard angle). I welded 16g
      sheet metal to the inside of the frame to create the inside of the
      oven chamber. I wired it with the guts out of a 230v conventional GE
      home oven, (Junk Yard) insulated it with 2" mineral wool. Then
      riveted 20g sheet metal to the outside of the frame.

      My oven is used for preheating & sooling cast and powder coating. So,
      I made brackets for shelves and for 3/4" rods to hang things from. I
      also, added a thermal well for accurate temperature monitoring. Don't
      forget to add a vent to the outside of the shop. My vent is 3".
      Casters have been a great addition. I Did end up having to go to the
      local appliance parts store and getting a commercial type temp
      controller.

      I would guess that it took about five hours to build. I don't think
      that I have more than $200.00 invested. I use it alot. It does get to
      hot to touch on the outside walls.

      Jeffery

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
        The kitchen stove

        Jeffery wrote:

        > --- In welding_group@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:welding_group%40yahoogroups.com>, Mark W <mnm3693234@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does anyone have any ideas on getting or building a
        > > relitively inexpensive furnace for preheating aluminum
        > > cylinder heads prior to TIG welding?
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > > Mark

        > > http://mail.yahoo.com <http://mail.yahoo.com>
        > >
        > Mark,
        > I am new here. But, I have built a simple electric oven to accept
        > items up to 3'8" in diameter. I am not sure what temp you are needing
        > to reach. My oven will hold a temperature of 500 degrees. It is a
        > simple 4'x4'x4' anlgle iron box (2" standard angle). I welded 16g
        > sheet metal to the inside of the frame to create the inside of the
        > oven chamber. I wired it with the guts out of a 230v conventional GE
        > home oven, (Junk Yard) insulated it with 2" mineral wool. Then
        > riveted 20g sheet metal to the outside of the frame.
        >
        > My oven is used for preheating & sooling cast and powder coating. So,
        > I made brackets for shelves and for 3/4" rods to hang things from. I
        > also, added a thermal well for accurate temperature monitoring. Don't
        > forget to add a vent to the outside of the shop. My vent is 3".
        > Casters have been a great addition. I Did end up having to go to the
        > local appliance parts store and getting a commercial type temp
        > controller.
        >
        > I would guess that it took about five hours to build. I don't think
        > that I have more than $200.00 invested. I use it alot. It does get to
        > hot to touch on the outside walls.
        >
        > Jeffery

      • Mark W
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2006
          Thanks for the idea. I was thinking about an oven,
          but wasn't sure if I could maintain about 500 deg.,
          but checked my wife's stove and looks like it will, so
          I'll be looking for an old junk stove I can put in my
          shop. The only problem is it is not big enough. I'm
          thinking about taking the door off an old stove and
          extending the inside, do a little welding here and
          there and reattach the door to the extended part. My
          workpiece is about 32-36in. long.

          Mark

          http://mail.yahoo.com