Thanks to Loren Coleman

  • Richard D. Hendricks
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2001
      Hey All --

      A big public thanks to Loren for including two Wisconsin stories, the
      Granton bigfoot and the Waupaca County black cat sightings, in his list
      of top cryptozoological events in 2000.

      See: http://www.anomalist.com/features/features.html

      As he's mentioned before, his latest book MYSTERIOUS AMERICA: THE
      REVISED EDITION (2001) is now out and contains several Wisconsin
      stories, some of which you all first saw on this list over the past
      year. A partial list of Wisconsin mysteries include phantom clowns;
      maned or African-type lion sightings; loose kangaroos; the Mineral Point
      vampire; etc. In the index alone, there are over a dozen entries for
      Wisconsin. As I said in my opening remarks this October at Weird
      Wisconsin 2000, growing up I'd often look in vain for Wisconsin stories
      in books of anomalies and mysteries or the paranormal, and find darn
      few, despite our rich heritage of these stories across the state.
      Thanks to several active researchers across the state, more of these
      stories are being saved and investigated in greater detail than ever
      before. And thanks to people with Loren's stature for getting these out
      to the greater public, furthering our goal of increasing awareness of
      weirdness in the state. Publicizing and showing the range makes it
      safer for people to come forward with their own stories, which in turn
      enriches us all.

      If you read the first edition of MYSTERIOUS AMERICA, there's even more
      (and better) material here, and well worth seeking out. An instant
      classic. And it still amazes me that events that just happened this
      summer have already been put between the covers of a book and delivered
      before the end of the year.

      Here's a link to his book:

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931044058/sr=1-5/ref=sc_b_5/107-5204593-8376551

      I'm delighted that Loren joined our list last spring and continues to
      contribute. The year 2000 offered a lot of really weird stories and I'm
      hoping that trend continues throughout the coming year.

      RDH
    • Loren Coleman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2001
        To Richard and the list...

        You are welcome, and a colossal thanks to all of you.

        Richard is too modest perhaps to mention that he is credited several times
        in the book, specifically on pages 156, 183, and 326. Thus, besides
        "Wisconsin," Richard *is* in the index too.

        Sincerely,
        Loren