Weird Wisconsin conference update

  • Richard D. Hendricks
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2000
      Hi All --

      I've finally got the ok from two more speakers, so I have at least a
      full day of programming, plus who knows what I might come up with yet.

      I'm thinking of these two as "soft" weirdness.

      Added to the schedule are:

      Susan Lampert Smith, columnist for the Wisconsin State Journal.
      Susan's columns often get picked up by various state newspapers, and I
      think she wrote for the St. Paul Dispatch for a time back in the late
      1980s. Several of her columns were collected in *Greetings from
      Wisconsin*. Susan's covered what I think of as the "eccentric beat,"
      covering everything from UFOs to ghosts to people with odd habits or odd
      collections or just plain unique individuals. I enjoy her column a lot,
      and I always find a lot of fascinating info. The quiet side of
      weirdness.

      Diana Cook is principal researcher for Michael Feldman's Whad'Ya Know
      radio program and co-author with him of the forthcoming *Wisconsin
      Curiosities*, a book about more "soft" weirdness around the state.
      Diana says she'd like to focus on some of the collecting mania and
      obsessions she's run across, from gigantic balls of twine to cat
      whiskers to raggedy anns to entire houses jampacked full of stuff (like
      mine). I had a fun evening at a party one night talking to Diana about
      weirdness, and her presentation should be a lot of fun.

      I'll be putting up a registration form sometime over the weekend and
      fixing up the conference page. I think there's a great lineup and the
      program should be one of a kind and hope ya'll can make it.

      RDH