Dousman Crop Formations

  • chadlewis44
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
      On Sunday August 20th, Rick Hendricks and I went to Dousman to
      investigate the possible crop formations. Rick and I encountered
      what appeared to be numerous wind blown formations. These formations
      lacked any definite outlines and many were bent over about midway
      down the stalk. The direction of the formations were consistant with
      wind patterns. They were very similar to the formations that appeared
      to the Northwest of the crop circles in Mayville. We noticed
      approximately 20 of these formations in several field locations. I
      also noticed several of these formations directly off of interstate
      I –94 approximately 10 miles West of Madison looking North off the
      interstate.

      Rick Hendricks, Terry Fisk, Jeannine Stucklen, and I are also looking
      to make public our initial Mayville Crop Circle report next week.
      Both soil and crop samples have been sent to BLT and our final report
      will include those. Watch www.weird-wi.com and www.chadlewis.com for
      the reports.
    • Gliaply
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
        Since today is only August 1st, the real mystery is how you
        teleported into the future for this investigation. <grin>

        --- chadlewis44 <chadlewis44@...> wrote:

        > On Sunday August 20th, Rick Hendricks and I went to Dousman to
        > investigate the possible crop formations.

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Richard D. Hendricks
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
          Actually, we were in the official Weird Wisconsin car, where
          anything can happen.

          For example, we get to Dousman fresh from Aztalan with its pyramids
          and end up being the hind end of a parade through town. Thousands of
          people were lining the streets -- literally thousands -- I had no idea
          that many people lived in the area. Main Street was festooned with
          flags covered with leaping frogs and ancient sun symbols. Beneath the
          flapping flags, no doubt symbolizing some ancient fertility cult, these
          thousands were sitting in lawn chairs, waving, smiling, happy, cheering,
          and drinking canned beer in the parching sun though it was barely noon.
          Chad said, 'I wish we had candy to throw.' Walkers were moving faster
          than we were on our slow roll through normally quiet Dousman. Very
          surreal. The next thing we're driving into the eerie silence out on
          Highway Z, looking for crop circles and finding windblown oats seemingly
          everywhere. We may have been in the future -- it had a wavery unreal
          feel to it!

          RDH

          Gliaply wrote:

          > Since today is only August 1st, the real mystery is how you
          > teleported into the future for this investigation. <grin>
          >

          > --- chadlewis44 <chadlewis44@...> wrote:
          >
          > > On Sunday August 20th, Rick Hendricks and I went to Dousman to
          > > investigate the possible crop formations.
        • Tamara Gleason
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2003
            Does anyone in the group know the lastest on the findings? Tammy

            WISCONSIN NATIVE RESEARCH 01/27/99 Amazing discoveries continue to appear at the Gottschall site, as Beloit College archaeological professor Bob Salzer leads expeditions under the western Wisconsin rock overhang each summer. And rock drawings, pottery and other items in the cavern are validating Ho Chunk Indian legends and beliefs, Salzer said. The professor said he expects the dig to lead him to ``nothing less than the entrance into the underworld.'' A recent find was the remains of a stack of rolled deer hide. One Native American winter feast ritual, Salzer said, included painting pictures of deities on specially finished deer hides, as offerings to the deities. While the ``scrolls'' are decomposed, ``you could see something was there,'' Salzer said. Salzer has contacted the Smithsonian Museum and sparked an international hunt to find an expert who knows how to reveal the art work on the material, which dates between 500 and 600 A.D. ``This is going to take a worldwide search,'' he
            said. Salzer contends the Gottschall site, on rural land west of Madison, is the premier archaeological spot in the U.S., for a range of reasons. One reason is that excavators found the image of a head, carved in sandstone and also painted, dating to about 1,050 A.D. The carving features eyes with pupils, vertical lines painted on the face, red coloring in the mouth and a circle and dot on the chin. ``It's the first of its kind,'' Salzer said, adding he expects to find more carved heads, perhaps from wood, as the excavation continues. A clan of Ho Chunk still paint a circle with a dot on the chin of their dead, he said. Another factor that makes the site spectacular to the archaeological world, said Salzer, is fires in the cavern over the centuries allow researchers to date artifacts using radiocarbon technology _ showing rituals were performed in the cavern between 1,500 B.C. and 1,400 A.D. Salzer contends the people who used the site were the ancestors of the Ho Chunk's
            thunderbird clan. He believes the cavern became an ancestor memorial. And because the site was used by Native Americans for centuries, as excavators carefully dig down, they unearth items showing how rituals were performed through the ages. While the relatively modern findings are too complex to fully understand, the older artifacts show more simple forms of the customs, that Salzer said he more readily comprehends. The site and the Gottschall rock drawings were discovered in 1974, by an 11-year-old boy adventuring in the countryside with a flashlight. It's named for the landowner. Salzer first saw the drawings in 1978 and began working excavating in 1984, he said, adding it took years to clear his schedule and gather funding and workers. Volunteer workers have headed to the site each summer, carefully ``digging'' into the sediment with brushes, advancing by centimeters. ``I'm not going to be the one that screws up North America's most important archaeological site,'' he said.
            Salzer is currently on a four-month sabbatical, taken in order to complete reports on Gottschall findings. In May he will lead a tour of the cavern for the International Federation of Rock Art organization. Excavators include college students and volunteers who pay to work on the site. They have comprised a wide-ranging group, including librarians, construction workers, mechanics, a retired doctor and a dentist. Salzer estimates the excavation will continue through 2013. The rock drawings from 850 A.D. of people, a thunderbird and a turtle match Ho Chunk legend recorded in the early 1900s, he said, depicting an Indian hero named Red Horn. According to the legend, said Salzer, the Ho Chunk people were being killed on a mass scale by giant strangers that had moved into the area. Red Horn held a series of sports competitions with the strangers, allowing the victors to kill the opponents. While the Ho Chunk won most of the meets, they lost a wrestling match and Red Horn was killed. His
            sons later snuck into the strangers' camp and found the bones of their clan members. They brought them home and the bones magically reassembled themselves and Red Horn came back to life. Of note, said Salzer, is that people very different from the Ho Chunk, who lived in wooden forts, settled in Wisconsin. One remaining fort can be found at Aztalan State Park, near Watertown. At Aztalan, archaeologists found the people had thrown human bones in their garbage areas. Arrowheads and knives were embedded in some bones and skulls, said Salzer. Bones were broken open and marrow scraped out, like other people might do with deer bones. ``The people at Aztalan were eating their neighbors,'' he said. ``The paintings may actually be recording a historic event.'' After residing for centuries in southern Wisconsin, ``the ancestors of the Ho Chunk moved north, to get out of this place.'' ``What we've done is confirm their traditions,'' Salzer said. At least some Ho Chunk members continue to
            monitor Gottschall findings, helping Salzer reach the conclusion that the dig will lead to the entrance of the underworld, where beasts reside. ``The Gottschall site is not a shelter. In fact there is a hole and we're gradually digging toward that hole,'' he said. ``We have reason to believe that there's something special about that hole. ``It is quite likely that we're going to find offerings. Native Americans do not know the consequences of reaching the entrance. ``And they're perfectly happy,'' Salzer said, ``to let a white man find out.''

            "Richard D. Hendricks" <rdh@...> wrote: Actually, we were in the official Weird Wisconsin car, where

            Gliaply wrote:

            > Since today is only August 1st, the real mystery is how you
            > teleported into the future for this investigation. <grin>
            >

            > --- chadlewis44 <chadlewis44@...> wrote:
            >
            > > On Sunday August 20th, Rick Hendricks and I went to Dousman to
            > > investigate the possible crop formations.

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

            Escape the Mundane!
            Read Weird Wisconsin!
            http://www.weird-wi.com/

          • Jenny
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 16, 2003
              Hi,

              I am wondering if you guys have any news on the Wisconsin crop
              circle? Wasn't sure if i missed the update or if the results just
              aren't in yet.

              Jenny

              --- In weirdwi@yahoogroups.com, "chadlewis44" <chadlewis44@h...>