Re: More wild central Wisconsin rumors

  • That Goddess Chick
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2002
      > Hi All --
      >
      > Remember earlier this summer when we had the DNR driving around in
      >white vans and releasing clouds of flies?
      >
      > Allegedly.
      >
      > Well -- the white vans are back.
      >
      > Allegedly.
      >
      > They're dumping rattlesnakes now.
      >
      > Makes me wonder what those DNR folks in white vans have planned for
      >Ghostpalooza! next month. Time will tell ...
      >
      > RDH
      >
      >+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

      I am behind on my emails, so I apologize for this coming late, but a
      few comments....

      I am wondering if the rattlesnake concern comes with reason. I am
      not sure about other areas, but for some reason, we have had loads of
      snakes all over the place this summer. For as long as we have lived
      here (18 years) we saw perhaps under 5 snakes total. We live in the
      country, way back off the road on 18 acres of mostly prairie, some
      woods, and a small swamp, pond, etc. I only remember one snake...one
      that was in the driveway, a small grass snake that I picked up and
      showed the kids so they would not be afraid if they ever saw a snake.
      That was about 6-7 years ago. This year, everywhere you look there
      are snakes, some up to about foot and a half long. I haven't seen
      them as I have been indoors most of the time so cannot say what kind
      they were. Has anyone else noticed a larger than normal population
      of snakes this year?

      Another comment about rattlers in Wisconsin. About 5 years ago up
      at my cottage in Townsend (on Little Horn Lake), my daughter nearly
      walked into one. The door goes out near the back of the garage where
      there is an old outhouse and a stack of cut firewood under some
      evergreens. The snake was near the firewood. She came flying into
      the house and I went out to check it out, and there, indeed was a
      snake making the same noise an rattler makes. I was not about to
      mess with it, so we went back into the cottage and hoped the thing
      left. Never saw or heard it since. Unless there is another snake
      that rattles its tail, that was definitely a rattle snake.

      --

      Fel
      http://www.frogstone.net

    • Todd Roll
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 3, 2002
        Regarding rattlesnakes in Wisconsin there are other snakes that will
        "rattle" thier tails. The name escapes me right now but I have seen them
        in the Wausau area, I want to say Pine Snakes but am not sure that is
        correct. Then again who is to say, if I hear a snake rattling it's tail I
        try to leave the area as quickly as possible.

        Todd Roll
        Wausau Paranormal Research Society
        Wausau, WI
      • That Goddess Chick
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2002
          >Regarding rattlesnakes in Wisconsin there are other snakes that will
          >"rattle" thier tails. The name escapes me right now but I have seen them
          >in the Wausau area, I want to say Pine Snakes but am not sure that is
          >correct. Then again who is to say, if I hear a snake rattling it's tail I
          >try to leave the area as quickly as possible.
          >
          >Todd Roll
          >Wausau Paranormal Research Society
          >Wausau, WI

          Thanks Todd, I will do some more research on it. It would greatly
          help my piece of mind as I have avoided that particular spot like the
          plague since we saw the snake....and I am not normally afraid of
          snakes.

          Now spiders.....