Weird People of Tomorrow

  • Richard D. Hendricks
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2000
      Hey All --

      One thing I really love about having the Weird Wisconsin site is the
      mail I receive. Most things are from people sending in stories or
      asking for info about various weird events. Then last night, I got the
      best of all.

      A letter addressed to me, written in pencil. It was barely sealed, and
      the stamp was hanging on by one corner only. The return address was
      from Smithton, IL, just east of St. Louis. It was if the sender was too
      parched to even summon up enough spit to seal everything together. I
      was intrigued.

      The letter goes:

      Dear Richard Hendricks,

      My name is Zac and I am a student from St. John the Baptist school. I
      am really interested in your state Wisconsin. I would really appreciate
      it if you could send me some imformation [sic] or brouchures [sic] on
      your state.

      Sincerely,

      Zac [lastname]

      At first I was puzzled, then it dawned on me that every year around
      this time kids across the country are writing away to other states to
      get information for a school project. I later read a letter in the Cap
      Times from a 11 year old in Santa Cruz, CA, asking for the same thing,
      which clinched it.

      I was thinking: yeah, out of anywhere he could have written, he chose
      Weird Wisconsin as an Official Source of Wisconsin information. You
      gotta love that in a young lad; he's got his head on straight.

      So, this morning I went to the Travel Wisconsin website at
      http://www.travelwisconsin.com/ and ordered him several travel and
      cultural brochures. From the state legislature's page I printed several
      pages from the Blue Book, the official guide to the state, containing
      state symbols, some history, important dates, and famous residents. I
      stopped by the Historical Society Museum and picked up a copy of Virgil
      J. Vogel's "Wisconsin' Name," a small pamphlet on how we got our name,
      plus a small history book on the state. I wrote him a letter on Weird
      Wisconsin letterhead, attached a business card, then I go wait ...

      The fact that he was even looking at the WW website in the first place
      must mean he had some interest in it. Then I couldn't get over the fact
      that he sent us a letter as an Official Source of information. I
      figured this might be a Loren Coleman or a Jay Rath in the making, and I
      should encourage him. So I went out and bought him a copy of Jay's book
      *The I-Files: True Reports of Unexplained Phenomena in Illinois*. I was
      imagining him running across the story about 10 year old Marlon Lowe,
      who on July 25, 1977, not too far away in Lawndale, was out playing when
      suddenly one of a pair of enormous birds swooped down and picked poor
      Marlon up to carry him away. He began struggling, and his mother began
      screaming, and the bird dropped Marlon after having carried him several
      yards. Now that should inflame a young lad's imagination, I was
      thinking ...

      So, who knows. We might be hearing from Zac sometime in the future.
      Uh ... in a good way, as a collector of weird stories, I hope.

      Lest you guys think I'm an easy touch, it's just that it was the first
      letter like that, so I probably went a little overboard. More like
      random acts of kindness and good karma ...

      Maybe I should work out a deal with Tourism.

      RH
      Weird Wisconsin
    • Loren Coleman
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2000
        Richard D. Hendricks writes, discussing a youthful request to the list:

        >figured this might be a Loren Coleman or a Jay Rath in the making, and I
        >should encourage him. So I went out and bought him a copy of Jay's book
        >*The I-Files: True Reports of Unexplained Phenomena in Illinois*. I was
        >imagining him running across the story about 10 year old Marlon Lowe,
        >who on July 25, 1977, not too far away in Lawndale,

        On my gosh, not another Loren Coleman....

        :-)

        Actually, this is one of the reasons I'm hoping to see Mysterious America
        reprinted soon, as the book serves as a good primer for all of these young
        Forteans writing *me* at this time of year for help on their term papers!

        Later...
      • Felinda
        Message 3 of 3 , May 2, 2000
          >Lest you guys think I'm an easy touch, it's just that it was the first
          >letter like that, so I probably went a little overboard. More like
          >random acts of kindness and good karma ...
          >
          > Maybe I should work out a deal with Tourism.
          >
          > RH
          > Weird Wisconsin

          Wow!!! I wish you would handle all my animal abuse letters from students
          who are doing school research papers.......they always go along the lines
          of "Would you please send me everything you have on <insert specific
          abuse>".....

          :-) That will be one happy youngster. It would be nice if we could get
          libraries to acquire more books on these topics.

          Fel

          http://www.athenet.net/~felinda
          http://www.athenet.net/~felinda/AnimalAbuse.html
          http://www.athenet.net/~felinda/WeirdPage.html