Re: [weirdwi] LaCrosse: ?Vampire? attacks band member, tour bus

  • Caty Bergman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 18, 2013
      -

      Thank you Richard,

      OK, we have to ask. Is LaCrosse in the middle of some kind of
      alternate universe vortex, or maybe there are hidden ley lines that
      converge there, or some kind of Lovecraftian demon lurking and waiting
      just under the surface, or maybe it's just us? Specifically Dave and
      his over active imagination.

      Something's just not right there. Is anybody here from there, or has
      anyone visited there and know some of the people there? Somehow it
      seems like we need a "special" correspondent from there or something.

      Just curious,

      c and d

      ==========
      Quoting "Richard D. Hendricks" <rdh@...>:

> [...]
      > ajungen@...</search/?l=50&sd=desc&s=start_time&f=html&byline=By%20ANNE%20JUNGEN%20%7C%20ajungen%40lacrossetribune.com>
      >
      > A man claiming to be a vampire punched a member of a band playing
      > Tuesday at the La Crosse Center and threw a barricade through a
      > window of their tour bus, according to police reports.
      >
      > Scott Mehtala, 23, told police he was high on heroin and assaulted a
      > guitarist for the American Fangs when he was confronted about
      > smashing the window about 9:50 p.m. He tried to run but was tackled
      > by another guitarist and held until police arrived at 200 Jay St.
      >
      > Guitarist Nik Slimp chipped a tooth and needed stitches after
      > Mehtala punched him, reports state.
      >
      > “I’m a vampire,” Mehtala told police when they asked him what
      > happened. Everyone else, he said, was “a normal.”
      >
      > He whispered to an officer who he considered a “normal” and asked
      > where his tattoos were, reports state.
      >
      > Mehtala then said he was “jumped by vampires,” who were members of
      > the Hollywood Undead, a band also playing the La Crosse Center on
      > Tuesday.
      >
      > He also told police he felt unsafe, but that his “super human
      > hearing” protected him, according to reports.
      >
      > Mehtala had a 0.12 percent blood-alcohol level.
      >
      > He told officers en route to jail that he feared repeat vampire
      > attacks and that he needed to take a nap in Superior, Wis., where he
      > lives. He wouldn’t believe he was in La Crosse.
      >
      > Earlier Tuesday, Mehtala ripped a side mirror from a car parked on
      > Main Street and gave it to a downtown bartender claiming vampires
      > had forced him to damage the car, reports state. Police recovered
      > the broken mirror.
      >
      > He faces charges of substantial battery, disorderly conduct and two
      > counts of criminal damage to property when he appears today in La
      > Crosse County Circuit Court. Mehtala remains jailed.
      >

      > ********************************************************************************************************
      > IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To comply with requirements imposed by
      > the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice contained
      > herein (including any attachments), unless specifically stated
      > otherwise, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be
      > used, for the purposes of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal
      > Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another
      > party any transaction or matter herein.
      > _______________________________________________________________________________________
      >
      > This message is a PRIVATE communication. This message and all
      > attachments are a private communication sent by a law firm and may
      > be confidential or protected by privilege. If you are not the
      > intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
      > copying, distribution or use of the information contained in or
      > attached to this message is strictly prohibited. Please notify the
      > sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, and then

      -
      -
      --
      ------
      READ our new SASQUATCH webpage. It's far from done, but we are really
      proud of the 60 plus pages of research and the fun and interesting
      facts we found:
      <http://www.amystrange.org/UNX-sasquatch.html>
      -
      -
      --
      ------
      We're also proud of our new UFO page:
      <http://www.amystrange.org/UNX-ufo.html>
      -
      -
      -
      --
      ------
      MORE INFO:
      Message 2 of 7 , May 20, 2013
        On 5/18/2013 2:50 PM, Caty Bergman wrote:

        OK, we have to ask. Is LaCrosse in the middle of some kind of
        alternate universe vortex, or maybe there are hidden ley lines that
        converge there, or some kind of Lovecraftian demon lurking and waiting
        just under the surface, or maybe it's just us?

        If I had to vote, I'd vote for us.

        Mr. Mehtala had a 0.12 blood alcohol count. And he thought he was in Superior, not La Crosse. Given a significant number of the U.S. population is also on prescription drugs -- or use illicit ones -- it wouldn't surprise me in the least if there were multiple complicating factors, including watching too much television and too many other things it would bore me to even think about. Because these stories get published in the newspaper, people pay attention to them and they take on a significance greater than they deserve. Seriously, if you dig deep enough, you could find the same stories anywhere in Wisconsin, or anywhere else for that matter.

        Here's a personal story. A few nights ago I took a late night phone call from a woman here in Madison. She was badly shaken, crying and nearly hysterical. She had just gone to bed. A enormous hairy disgusting beast standing on two legs appeared in her bedroom doorway. It filled the doorway. A strong stench of sulfur fouled the air. Her bedroom is small. Her bed is right next to the doorway. The beast moved a few into her bedroom, then sat on the edge of her bed. Its weight bore the bed down. That broke the spell -- she screamed and screamed, and it vanished -- and probably scared her neighbors below, too. Her cat that had been lying next to her went scrambling away. She literally thought it was a demon come to drag her to hell.

        Well -- maybe.

        She also pointed to other evidence. She said she found her shoes pointing the wrong direction from how she typically places them. Found her apartment door unlocked, and she always locks her door. Couldn't find the cat. As I talked to her for some 40 minutes, I had her go through her apartment, turn lights on, check things out. I even had her look behind the shower curtain. Nothing of course was there, but she found signs that were disturbing to her, and that fed into the explanation for what she thought she had experienced.

        On the other hand, I know her personal history. She's had a long history of debilitating migraines and in her late 30s developed epilepsy and began to experience grand mal seizures. Several months ago I specifically had given her an article written by the author and neurologist Oliver Sacks, who described a number of experiences people with a history of severe migraines and epilepsy have suffered over the years. If people know anything about migraines or seizures, they know that those who get them might see an aura or flashing lights behind their eyes before one comes on -- some sort of precursor to the full-fledged migraine or seizure. However, as Sacks noted, people have all kinds of odd experiences prior to migraines, from seeing little people to seeing headless people to seeing demons (or "shadow people"), to hearing loud noises and bangs and crashes, to smelling strong odors, to experiencing intense emotional responses from overwhelming joy to debilitating fear.

        We talked about that article while on the phone, but she wasn't quite buying it as a valid explanation, because of how vivid and terrifying her experience had been. The beast was real. It was there in her bedroom.

        Hours later -- she came down with a migraine.

        After her migraine, she re-evaluated her experience from that night.

        We talked about it later. A few weeks ago she had had seizure for the first time in a long time -- she woke up, left her bed to go in search of a water bottle, when hours later found herself bruised on her living room floor with her CD tower knocked over and CDs spilled all over the floor. Her migraines have been increasing in frequency, too. She has a physical soon, and it's something we thought she should discuss with her doctor -- maybe her meds need tweaking.

        Logically, what makes more sense? A hairy demon shows up in your third floor apartment to drag you to hell, or your brain has had a sudden burst of activity that causes you to experience something outside your normal frame of reality?

        You could call in your local ghostbusting group, with their EMF meters and ghost finding apps on their smart phones, waving Bibles and vials of Holy water they stole from a baptismal fount in a Catholic church, but they aren't ever going to find that demon in my friend's apartment because it just doesn't exist. My friend's experience was the product of lots of things, but it had nothing to do with the supernatural, or dead people, or stray voltage.

        In this instance, I know this woman. Instead of making a leap of faith into paranormality, I can look at a broader spectrum of possibilities that aren't quite so outre. In cases of newspaper articles, there's very little information other than who, what, when, why, where -- straight forward "facts." The most important things of all, however, circumstances and a broader context, is absent.

        Like I said, a lot of it I think is just us. Not all of it, mind you, but a lot of it. Sometimes a vampire is a just another one of many, many other drunks in La Crosse.

        RDH
        rdh@...<mailto:rdh@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , May 20, 2013
          On 5/20/2013 11:28 AM, Richard D. Hendricks wrote:

          Like I said, a lot of it I think is just us. Not all of it, mind you, but a lot of it. Sometimes a vampire is a just another one of many, many other drunks in La Crosse.

          And what I should have added and forgot to: It's only when we sit down and talk to that "vampire" and understand his story, figure out what he was thinking, and learn his background, will we ever have an inkling into understanding what caused him to do what he did. And we'll never get that from any newspaper story in the La Crosse Tribune, or in collecting tales on the internet of manbats along the Mississippi River, or documenting smiley face graffiti on bridges near drownings. To me that's extraneous to THE person who had THE experience or who did what HE did.

          FWIW. YMMV.

          RDH

[...]

        • Roll, Todd
          Message 4 of 7 , May 20, 2013
            I agree with everything you say here. Sometimes a drunk is just a drunk.

            Cheers,
            Todd

            rdh@...<mailto:rdh%40execpc.com><mailto:rdh@...<mailto:rdh%40execpc.com>>

[...]

          • bandk chorus.net
            Message 5 of 7 , May 20, 2013
              I agree fully. Sometimes a cat is just a cat and a dog is only a
              dog----nothing more.

              Many times we hear of things that are considered to
              be----"OUT-OF-THE-ORDINARY"----however, this definition does NOT mean that
              these things were due to the actions of an: alien, werewolf, vampire or
              zombie-like creatures. It is usually the alcohol or drug fueled actions of
              some, or even the delusional visions of said people suffering from REAL
              medical issues and psycho-illnesses or maladies.

              Let's not JUMP to paranormal conclusions automatically eh-----sometimes a
              dog is just a dog......:-)

              PS---Did you also read that the Vampire guy who attacked the tour bus
              admitted that he had either "done heroin that night before arriving or that
              he was a heroin addict." Either way---This guy might indeed be apt to
              cause trouble for the people involved.

              It doesn't matter if he THINKS he's a vampire. The poor guy needs help.

              Kirk....

              Message 6 of 7 , May 20, 2013
                -

                Thank you Richard,

                not that I don't agree with you, but Dave is a whole other story.

                I do agree with him on one thing, just because you can explain
                something away as not paranormal does NOT make THAT explanation THE
                one and only explanation, or the ONLY one.

                Also, if the only weird thing that happened in LaCrosse was the
                vampire story, it wouldn't have given us pause. There's the
                "drownings", the weird Lacross rape story from a couple (two, three or
                more) years ago, and some other things that have slipped our minds at
                the moment.

                Maybe it's not you folks, or us at all, but just that Wisconsin has a
                little more weird in their genes than the rest of us, or maybe it IS
                just too much of THAT mixed with alcohol.

                Thank you again Richard,

                c and d