Re: [weirdwi] Wisconsin--confirmed ML sighting

  • ken stoker
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013
      Thanks Todd,

      I do remember seeing an article that stated that the Wolf population was
      around 4,000 & I believe that it included UP Michigan in the count.
      I'll have to see if I can find that article again. One of my Friends from
      Ashland confirmed reading this as well.
      I do know that Cougars have been in Wisconsin for quite some time now. I was
      up there the day prior to them being told that by the driver of the truck in
      Hayward.

      None the less, I found it very interesting.

      Ken,..........

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013
        Ken,

        The last estimate I saw for wolf population in Wisconsin are from 2011-2012 and they were around 204 packs with a minimum of around 800 wolves. The numbers always estimate a minimum so the actual number of wolves in Wisconsin is probably around 1,000.

        Cheers,
        Todd

        > Hmm...I have a friend and former work colleague, Professor of Biology, who
        > now works for the DNR. I asked him about mountain lions in Wisconsin and
        > he said that the DNR has been aware of this for years. They have tracked
        > the movement of young cougars from the west across Minnesota and into
        > Wisconsin, and he believes they are in Michigan as well. The DNR does not
        > plant or re-locate these animals from other states into Wisconsin. Their
        > introduction to Wisconsin is due to the need for ever increasing ranges
        > for younger male cats. When the population gets larger in a neighboring
        > state the young males are forced to range far into other states, hence big
        > cats coming to Wisconsin. The DNR has a very good idea about how many big
        > cats are in Wisconsin and where they came from. I don't recall the number
        > he quoted but it was less than 100.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Todd Roll

      • Roll, Todd
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013
          This site shows the location of a number of wolf packs in Wisconsin. It may be of interest to some of the folks on this list.

          http://mywisconsinspace.com/2010/10/distribution-map-of-wisconsin-wolf-packs/

          Todd Roll