Re: [weirdwi] Article from wiscnews.com

  • Hoodoo
    Message 1 of 30 , Jun 1, 2008
      Would you please put a little time and effort into your posted messages
      by supplying at least a small amount of information as to what the
      linked article is about?

      It would be beneficial so folks can judge whether whatever it is you
      link to is of interest to them.

      Bill

      From: kahunaaccidentale@... kahunaaccidentale@...
      Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:37:15 -0500
      Subject: RE: [weirdwi] Article from wiscnews.com

      > The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
      > http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/news/289010
    • loathsomedragon
      Message 2 of 30 , Jun 3, 2008
        --- In weirdwi@yahoogroups.com, Hoodoo <hoodoo@...> wrote:

        > Would you please put a little time and effort into your posted
        messages
        > by supplying at least a small amount of information as to what the
        > linked article is about?
        >
        > It would be beneficial so folks can judge whether whatever it is you
        > link to is of interest to them.
        >
        > Bill

        It goes to show we eccentrics need to do a
        better job.

        Paper treasure obviously is a no no.

        I'd suggest avoiding sinking ones life savings into a hole,but if one
        must keep very good written records of the geographical
        location.

        Back in 2000 I had a barn full of stuff which was a
        mixture of junk and new unused stuff I figured
        I'd never need again.So I proceeded to dig about
        6 holes in the sand about 5 feet deep by 6 feet x 6 feet
        and merrily heaved in busted computers,unused pail heaters
        and antigue ACME parlour woodstoves into those holes.

        However I never bothered keeping written records
        detailing the 'treasure' I was leaving to future
        archaeologists to dig up.

        Six years flew by during which I regretted tossing some
        stuff into the ground,such as a 50 pound coil of
        wire I had built about 1990 after I'd read the tale
        of the time travelling Lucy Lightfood in the
        Time Life series.Basically in 1990 I'd
        built a time machine based on what I thought was
        in the Time Life book.

        By 2006 I decided "what the hell,I know the
        Lucy Lightfoot story is a fraud,but thats my time machine sitting
        2-5 feet down under the sand,as well as a calf sling,
        weigh scale,and other stuff I wanted back.

        So I proceeded to dig up 5 of the 6 'treasure'pits
        and denied future archeologists about 75 to 80 % of the
        stuff.The remaining 20-25% now lay mired in wet
        sandy muck,so I left those where they lay.

        Basically wood had all rotted away,as well as wool and
        leather goods.The metal items were slightly rusted but
        plastic was as good as the day it went in the
        ground.I'd suggest burying debit and credit cards,if one
        must bury a 'treasure'.

        Now the interesting thing was the comparison
        of what really lay in each pit compared to my
        six year old memories of what lay in each pit.

        Lets say my memories said items a,b,c,d,e
        lay in a pit which was the last one I did,at
        the bottom of which lay a old fridge.

        Generally I'd find items a,b,c,d,e together,however not
        in the last pit I'd dug.Instead the real treasure
        pit with the fridge and a,b,c,d,e could be anyone of the 5 pits
        I dug up,but the best odds were that if lets say
        there were several rows of pits,the one with the target
        was the last pit in a row,rather then the
        last pit I dug.

        Basically my memory was getting the groupings of
        items associated with each another correct,but
        actual physical locations failed completely.

        Which suggests to me that any treasure map based on a
        memory probably gets the detail of WHAT is buried
        correct,but fails to say WHERE it is buried with
        any confidence.
      • kahunaaccidentale@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 30 , Jun 6, 2008
          The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
          who says:

          "I wouldn\'t quite know if this qualifies as weird--having technical-education students in Wisconsin Dells construct a house, and then put it up for sale on the real estate market.

          And on school-owned lands, come to think of it."

          http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/communities/290128
        • kahunaaccidentale@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 30 , Jun 21, 2008
            The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
            who says:

            "Could it be possible that we have here an EMS ambulance straight out of \"Christine,\" come to think of it?

            And in a Mecca of Wisconsin weirdness such as Wisconsin Dells, no less?!"

            http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/news/292577
          • Jerry Leisemann
            Message 5 of 30 , Jun 21, 2008
              I think it's time to call in a Priest.

              kahunaaccidentale@... wrote: The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
              who says:

              "Could it be possible that we have here an EMS ambulance straight out of \"Christine,\" come to think of it?

              And in a Mecca of Wisconsin weirdness such as Wisconsin Dells, no less?!"

              http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/news/292577

              Jerry
              "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

              test'; ">

            • kahunaaccidentale@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
                The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
                who says:

                "Of particular interest, for the sake of this item, would have to be \"The Castle,\" as discussed towards the end of same."

                http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/news/300919
              • dawn marie
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 16, 2008
                  the castle would like like a great little b&b.  That would be a huge success.  Does anyone live in the lttle house or is it just sitting there housing spiders and mice?

                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 27, 2008
                    The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
                    who says:

                    "Now tell me--is this something of a record for longevity with a classic specimen of Wisconsin roadside weirdness known otherwise as the Tommy Bartlett Show?

                    (Interesting to note where, back in the late 1950\'s and early 1960\'s, \"The Show\" featured a rotating schedule of acts from The Lawrence Welk Show and the Grand Ole Opry as part of the stage portion.)"

                    http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/communities/302223
                  • Kim Poeppey-Del Rio

                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 19, 2008
                        The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
                        who says:

                        "...and to think that there are actually collectors(!!) of Wisconsin Dells souvenirs these days, tacky and otherwise!

                        (You can also do a search on eBay.)"

                        http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/news/314967
                      • Kim Poeppey-Del Rio

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 13 3:59 PM
                            The following article is sent to you by Iludium Phosdex
                            who says:

                            "It appears as if we may be seeing a first here--a town-level (township) government and a Native American community coordinating services jointly.

                            Is this one for Ripley, perhaps?"

                            http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/news/432459
                          • kahunaaccidentale@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 30 , Feb 20, 2009
                              The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
                              who says:

                              "Remind you of a certain Knock International Airport out Ireland way?"

                              http://www.wiscnews.com/bnr/news/439609
                            • kahunaaccidentale@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , Mar 17, 2009

                                "It\'s not even summer yet, and we hear of a deer crashing the party (so to speak) @ a motel swimming pool--!!"

                                http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/news/443369
                              • kahunaaccidentale@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 26, 2009
                                  The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
                                  who says:

                                  "Is this the price for getting a lake restored as suddenly (and, perhaps, hastily) as it was--people complaining of \"swimmer\'s itch\" after spending time in water?"

                                  http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/news/455961
                                • kahunaaccidentale@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 13, 2009
                                    The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
                                    who says:

                                    "Can you imagine a couple facing charges of child neglect AND animal abuse in the same breadth?"

                                    http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/news/467136
                                  • kahunaaccidentale@yahoo.com
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 13, 2009
                                      The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
                                      who says:

                                      "Two years ago, it was The Wonder Spot ... now, could Riverview Park and Waterworld be next?"

                                      http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/news/467137
                                    • kahunaaccidentale@yahoo.com
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 17 11:22 AM
                                        The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
                                        who says:

                                        "Tell me in all honesty:

                                        Is this a simple argument getting out of control enough for Fox Prolefeed likely getting interested before too long (and exploiting such accordingly), or a case of \"it\'s funny only until someone gets hurt--then, it becomes hilarious!\" sort of weird?"

                                        http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/news/469549
                                      • kahunaaccidentale@yahoo.com
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Mar 11, 2010
                                          The following article is sent to you by Larry Ellis Reed
                                          who says:

                                          "Tinfoil--it\'s not just for headwear among the paranoid anymore...."

                                          http://www.wiscnews.com/wde/communities/471712