True to form, Madison cries 'Fowl'

  • Richard D. Hendricks
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2007
      True to form, Madison cries 'Fowl'

      PATRICIA SIMMS
      Wisconson State Journal
      608-252-6492
      November 30, 2007

      Madison: a place where bowling a few frozen turkeys for charity causes
      enough outrage that, within 24 hours, organizers switch to tofu.

      Thursday afternoon Lisa Jacob, assistant center director of the Goodman
      Atwood Community Center, notified East Siders of a fundraiser for the
      center's food pantry — turkey bowling at Angelo's restaurant at 5801
      Monona Drive on Dec. 9.

      Her words had barely reached e-mail inboxes when a neighbor responded
      with her concerns: "It sickens me to think of encouraging people to use
      an animal as an object of entertainment," wrote Dana Schreiber. "...
      Just this activity alone seems to be an unethical way to treat what was
      once a living being. Would you freeze a dead dog and bowl with it?"

      Neighbor Mike Jacobs responded that meat-eaters don't have a leg to
      stand on. "I'm not certain bowling with what used to be a turkey is any
      more or less obscene than cutting off its head, yanking out its guts,
      smearing it in butter, jamming it full of bread and veggies, baking it
      up and rejoicing over the feast it creates," he said.

      Apparently turkey bowling comes off without a hitch in some places — a
      couple of weeks ago, the first Indiana State Frozen Turkey Bowling
      Champion was crowned in Metropolis, Ind.

      But this is Madison. By Friday noon, Becky Steinhoff, executive director
      of the Goodman Atwood Community Center, quelled the flap. Steinhoff said
      about half a dozen people complained.

      "We wave the white flag and really apologize," Steinhoff wrote.
      "Angelo's called us and wanted to know if we would want the proceeds of
      the event, and we thought, 'well, they are dead.' But we didn't think it
      through thoroughly ... I apologize for not thinking it through and
      certainly for offending anyone — something we never want to do."

      Steinhoff had good news. "We called Angelo's, and they are happy to
      change the event to a Tofurky bowl."

      In fact, Patrick Augustine, owner of Angelo's, said Friday he's planning
      on making his own tofu turkey — Tofurkeys don't come large enough for
      bowling, he said. "We're going to form tofu into the shape of a turkey
      and freeze it. We'll have it netted, so you'll have a handle. You're
      looking at a lot of tofu."

      *For more information:*

      to subscribe to the East Isthmus Neighborhoods Planning Council listserv.