Marfa Lights

  • Richard D. Hendricks
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2000
      Hi All --

      The Ghost Lights of Marfa have been talked about for over 100 years.
      These small ethereal lights float, ebb and glow far out in the west
      Texas desert, some nine miles east of Marfa. These mysterious lights
      have been explained as campfires, phosphorescent minerals, swamp gas,
      static electricity, and genuine paranormal phenomenon. These lights
      change colors, vary in intensity, and move about the night sky. Are
      these lights the product of a hoax, the imagination, something mundane,
      or something stranger?

      According to a press release, Miller Brewing Company and the city of
      Marfa are negotiating a licensing deal that would lead to Miller Lite
      becoming the official sponsor of the Marfa Lights, to be renamed The
      Marfa Lites. According to Jeff Colbert, Millers' general manager for
      sales in Texas, "We are very excited ... [t]his is part of our 'True to
      Texas' campaign that aims to tell the story about the diversity,
      traditions, and history of the Lone Star State."

      The press release claims this would be the first time a U.S. company
      has negotiated sponsorship of a paranormal phenomenon.

      The press release was filed March 31, 2000, at 6:33 p.m., just a few
      hours before April Fool's Day. Coincidental, or significant?

      I can't find anything on the Miller Brewing Company site or on the
      Marfa Lights site, nor on any of the news services, except for reprints
      of the original Business Wire story. To see the complete press
      release: http://www.businesswire.com/webbox/bw.033100/200910366.htm .

      Time will tell ...

      RH
      Weird Wisconsin