recent sighting of a cougar near Sugar Camp, WI

  • Hoodoo
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1, 2007
      Cougar Sighting

      July 31, 2007
      http://www.wjfw-nbc12.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7498&Itemid=51

      http://www.wjfw-nbc12.com/images/stories/News/cougar3.jpg
      [file photo of a cougar; not the one allegedly sighted]

      Fact or fiction: Are there Cougars in the Northwoods? According to one
      channel 12 viewer- they do exist.

      Newswatch 12's Jenny Milkowski spoke with the woman who claims she saw a
      cougar- and also spoke with a Wildlife Biologist with the Department of
      Natural Resources- to see if there's any fact behind this.

      When Marsha Jordan saw what she believes- is a cougar- she says she
      couldn't believe her eyes. But now- she's a believer that these wilds
      cats do visit the Northwoods. It was right here at the Church of Christ
      Driveway- about 6 miles out of Rhinelander on Highway 17 North - in
      Sugar Camp - that Marsha Jordan says she spotted the cougar. Jordan says
      she was leaving the church when the big cat crossed her path from the
      left side of the street- then quickly ran into the wooded area next to
      the church.

      The incident happened about two weeks ago- but Jordan says she can see
      the Cougar like it was yesterday. Jordan says, "It was a huge, huge,
      cat. It had a long tail, it was kind of tan in color."

      Wildlife Biologist at the DNR, Ron Eckstein says, "Cougars once occured
      in Wisconsin and the last confirmed wild cougar in Wisconsin was over
      100 years ago, they were extrapated." According to the Department of
      Natural Resources- there is no "Population" of cougars here in the
      Northwoods- or even the state. Cougars here are extrapated- which means
      there are no male and female cougars having babies in the area- they do
      not exist here.

      The DNR says Jordan's description of what she saw- does match that of a
      Cougar. They say they will look at the tracks and area to investigateĀ»
      DNR Experts say they do receive about 6 cougar sightings in Oneida
      County alone each year. They say they do their best to investigate each
      one- but so far- THERE HAVE BEEN NO CONFIRMED SIGHTINGS- only possible ones.

      Written By Jenny Milkowski
    • Jerry Leisemann
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
        Ya know, that's just what they said when a Prof of mine and I played some tapes of wolf-song for them, 15 yrs. before they admitted that they were making a comeback. Later the warden in the aria admitted (almost) that they knew about them but hadn't wanted anyone to panic or go off on a wolf-hunt.

        Hoodoo <hoodoo@...> wrote: Cougar Sighting

        Wildlife Biologist at the DNR, Ron Eckstein says, "Cougars once occured
        in Wisconsin and the last confirmed wild cougar in Wisconsin was over
        100 years ago, they were extrapated." According to the Department of
        Natural Resources- there is no "Population" of cougars here in the
        Northwoods- or even the state. Cougars here are extrapated- which means
        there are no male and female cougars having babies in the area- they do
        not exist here.

        The DNR says Jordan's description of what she saw- does match that of a
        Cougar. They say they will look at the tracks and area to investigateĀ»
        DNR Experts say they do receive about 6 cougar sightings in Oneida
        County alone each year. They say they do their best to investigate each
        one- but so far- THERE HAVE BEEN NO CONFIRMED SIGHTINGS- only possible ones.

        Written By Jenny Milkowski

        Jerry
        "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

        test'; ">

      • Kim Poeppey-Del Rio
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
          I think the DNR says that so people wont stop camping and going to the UP and stuff.
          IF people knew for a fact there are Bears in the Dells and Cougars in Minaqua they would either go and kill them or not go there at all out of fear.

          Now WE who live here have extended family and friends who either live up north or go there all the time. They are for the most part credible and tell us that they have seen both bear and cougar in Wisconsin more then once...thats how WE know these animals live in areas where the DNR says they dont...

          these animals have legs ya know...they will walk and live where ever they want to...

          Silly DNR people.

          Kim
          Ya know, that's just what they said when a Prof of mine and I played some tapes of wolf-song for them, 15 yrs. before they admitted that they were making a comeback. Later the warden in the aria admitted (almost) that they knew about them but hadn't wanted anyone to panic or go off on a wolf-hunt.

          Hoodoo <hoodoo@...> wrote: Cougar Sighting

          Wildlife Biologist at the DNR, Ron Eckstein says, "Cougars once occured
          in Wisconsin and the last confirmed wild cougar in Wisconsin was over
          100 years ago, they were extrapated." According to the Department of
          Natural Resources- there is no "Population" of cougars here in the
          Northwoods- or even the state. Cougars here are extrapated- which means
          there are no male and female cougars having babies in the area- they do
          not exist here.

          The DNR says Jordan's description of what she saw- does match that of a
          Cougar. They say they will look at the tracks and area to investigateĀ»
          DNR Experts say they do receive about 6 cougar sightings in Oneida
          County alone each year. They say they do their best to investigate each
          one- but so far- THERE HAVE BEEN NO CONFIRMED SIGHTINGS- only possible ones.

          Written By Jenny Milkowski

          Jerry
          "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

          test'; ">

        • Roll, Todd
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 2, 2007
            Just outside of Wausau is the Nine Mile Forest Area which produces
            sightings of cougars about once a year. Tracks and scat have been found
            and a number of people have reported seeing them. So, if they are not
            here they are most assuredly moving through Wisconsin.

            Todd Roll

            Ya know, that's just what they said when a Prof of mine and I played
            some tapes of wolf-song for them, 15 yrs. before they admitted that they
            were making a comeback. Later the warden in the aria admitted (almost)
            that they knew about them but hadn't wanted anyone to panic or go off on
            a wolf-hunt.

            Hoodoo <hoodoo@... <mailto:hoodoo%40spamcop.net> > wrote: Cougar
            Sighting